Ellz Readz's Reviews > Torment

Torment by Lauren Kate

Sep 14, 2010

Read in August, 2010

My thoughts...Another captivating tale from Lauren Kate. Torment leaves readers questioning their judgement and yearning for more.

Book one, Fallen, gave readers a glimpse into this magical world of good and evil. Lines were drawn in the sand and the Angels fell in line, declaring their sides. In Torment, the lines were blurred and the challenge to the reader was deciding who was good and who was siding with evil. This second installment explained more of the history of Luce's life, including the parts with Daniel and without. While he was not a primary character, he still played an integral part of the story. Readers lean more about the shadows that haunt Luce and how she can manipulate them.

Luce is moved from her prison at Sword and Cross to an exquisite private school for Nephilim. This change in atmosphere brings about some important changes in Luce, including her attitude. Her character showed incredible growth in this story. She starts standing taller and questioning her fate. While some of the favorites from Fallen are still around, we meet several new characters that keep the story interesting. Several, I am sure will be sticking around for future books.

As a fan of Fallen, I was easily wrapped up in Torment. Kate did not disappoint with her world or character development. The plot was interesting and developed, adding more pieces to the puzzle. The ending...ahhh the ending left the reader hanging off the edge of a cliff. I can hardly wait for the third installment to be released in Summer 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torment.