Amy's Reviews > A Beautiful Mind

A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar

Apr 11, 10

Recommended for: no one
Read on April 09, 2010, read count: 1

Well, I will not read this book again. Nor do I recommend it to anyone.

I admit it was interesting to learn more about John Nash, particularly just how good he was, and what his colleagues had to say about his brilliant, beautiful mind. It was eye opening to read about the time of his life when he actively began struggling with his illness, and his subsequent recovery. It was gratifying to read about his Nobel Prize experience.

All that said, it was not at all "good" enough to entice me to spend my time reading again. First of all, it's a book about a mathematician. A brilliant mathematician whose works I don't really understand even when they are put in "plain" English, as she occasionally did. And since he had essentially no life outside of his mathematics, until you get to the part where he is ill, and can no longer do math, it talks a lot about things I don't understand.

Also, while there was not a language problem per se, the instances where there was a foul word used it was one of the foulest, and quite off-putting.

And last but probably most of all I will not read it again because some of the anecdotes she chose to include about his life just plain made me uncomfortable. I felt a little bit like I had invaded his private life, because even though she never really gave details or was graphic, it just felt too inimately personal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Mind.