Kirsty's Reviews > The Luxe

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

Oct 08, 11

Read from June 16 to 20, 2011

This is definitely one of those books that I class as a guilty pleasure, although I actually don't feel guilty, because I figure everyone should read what they like to read. As long as they're reading SOMETHING, it's all good!

The Luxe is set in 1899 in New York City. It's the story of society's elite and their shenanigans - parties, romance, scandal; it's all in here. Elizabeth Holland is the eldest daughter of one of the most influential families in New York. That is, until her father dies. Suddenly her family starts to experience money issues and, in order secure her family's future, her mother arranges for her to marry Henry Schoonmaker. The problem lies in the fact that Elizabeth is not at all attracted to Henry and, in fact, has her sights set on Will - their stable boy. Throw into the mix her best friend Penelope and her sister Diana, both of whom have fallen for Henry, and you have yourself a pretty messed up love pentagon.

I read this book on holiday and it was the perfect beach read. I'd wanted to read it for a while as the cover caught my eye and I was intrigued by the promise of a historical fiction novel for teens. Historical fiction is one of my favourite genres and I hadn't read any set in this period so I decided to give it a try.

The plot was fun and engaging and I loved the mystery aspect of it. We know from the first page that Elizabeth dies, but we don't know how. This propels the plot as there is the promise that we will find out and I was interested to see how the author wove the story and built up to this. Plus there are a couple of twists, one of which I was definitely NOT expecting, and this kept it interesting.

I can't say I cared too much about the characters. Normally this would mean that I didn't enjoy the book, but for some reason it actually seemed to compliment the plot. The book is about high society and high-society is, a lot of the time, chock-full of bitches. The fact that none of the characters were particularly likeable, albeit for different reasons - Penelope was a bitch, Elizabeth was a wimp, Lina was spiteful and Diana was selfish, although I did like her more than the others - actually added to the atmosphere of the novel.

If you like period dramas, mysteries and chick-lit, and don't mind them being thrown into the same pot, then you'll love this. I did, and will definitely be reading the others in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luxe.

06/20/2011 page 276
06/20/2011 page 433
100.0% "Review to follow"

message 1: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie So excited to hear this, Kirsty! I've had my eye on these books for a while & when I found a set with the first three books (and it was on sale 50% off), I couldn't resist! The Luxe is on my YA list of five, too! Guess I gotta move it up on Mt. TBR!

Kirsty Yeah, I'd be interested to know what you think!