heyadri's Reviews > The Fountainhead

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Apr 17, 13

bookshelves: favorite-women-authors, contemporary, classics, favorites
Read in January, 2009

Let's set Rand's philosophy aside for a moment.

The reason I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because the truth behind this book is that all the characters are exaggerations of the good or bad. Realism lacks, as it's purposely set up as philosophical diction rather than a presentation of the true human state (which ironically, I thought "East of Eden" did a bang-up job with). In real life, obviously, people are a mix of all qualities and many opposing philosophies. "The Fountainhead" merely separates these facets for better understanding, by which means very perfect villains and heroes are created.

I found her writing to be riveting and deeply conversational for philosophical fiction (obviously she cared about this stuff), which meant that 700 tiny-print pages were less daunting of a read.

Overall, some of the theories of individualism and integrity, which are such a foundation for the Western world (supposedly), were very well demonstrated through Roark's character.

Although it is a work of intellectual elitism and does not by any means provide answers to the world's call to altruism and more economic equality, it does give the good reasons behind why certain aspects of egalitarian government (such as the one that Rand came from) stifles the individual purpose, creative drive, and overall function as a sentient being.

It presents her viewpoint as a word of warning, basically stating "I hope you make it to your heaven, waiting for life to happen on this earth." The novel champions the soul's worth, purely on as a human soul without external forces being taken into account. It's a worthwhile read, and it will give you food for thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fountainhead.

Hazel Elizabeth My favorite part of this book was roark's defense of himself in court. That everything she believes in a nutshell!