Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > Warped

Warped by Maurissa Guibord

Jun 13, 2013

bookshelves: reviewed-by-bridget

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was a beautifully woven tale, filled with fun characters, a good plot, sweet romance and a wonderful middle age/modern day setting.

Opening Sentence: On a hillside stood three figures.

The Review:

Tessa is a 17 year old girl that has never really believed in fate. She lives with her father and her mother passed away 4 years ago in a terrible car accident. Tessa’s father owns a book shop and he has just recently attended an auction where he got a few old books a beautiful tapestry of a unicorn. Her dad gives her the tapestry and soon after she starts to have very vivid dreams about a brutal hunt for a unicorn and things from the past. Hundreds of years ago 7 life threads were stolen from the Fates and weaved into the tapestry that Tessa now owns. One day she finds a loose thread and decides to pull it out, and she releases a terrible secret. She also happens to release William de Chaucy, a gorgeous nobleman from the 16th century, who has been stuck in the tapestry all these years. Now Will and Tessa have to correct the wrongs of the past, but time is running out. The Fates have discovered that Tessa has the missing threads in her possession and they think that she is the one that stole them. If she can’t give them back in time everything she loves will be destroyed.

Tessa is our heroine in this book and she was a likable character. She has a stubborn streak in her but she is very sensible most of the time. She loves to read (which I loved of course). She is also an artist, but she really hasn’t done much since her mother passed away. She is faced with a lot of tough decisions throughout the book but she faces them head on and doesn’t shy away from a challenge. I felt that she was a strong protagonist and I really enjoyed reading her story.

Will is handsome, arrogant and chivalrous all rolled into one. He totally captivated me right from the first moment I met him. He grew up in a time where he was a lord and he is use to people doing what he says. When he meets Tessa she is stubborn and so different from any of the girls from his time, but she is also slightly familiar. Will and Tessa have great chemistry and they are really cute together. Will is a total gentleman and he just made me swoon. I definitely fell in love with him right along with Tessa.

First off, I just have to say that I love books that have a historical setting mixed with modern day. Warped was a really fun read for me. The characters were very charming and fun to get to know. There is good action with a fun and an interesting plot. The romance was sweet and really well developed. Warped was a nicely woven tale, intermixing fantasy, myth, and the middle ages. The story really kept me intrigued the whole way through and I had a hard time putting it down. This is the first book that I have read by Guibord, but it will definitely not be my last. I would highly recommend this to anyone that likes YA fantasy books with a medieval twist to it.

Notable Scene:

A young man crouched on the floor beside her, gasping for breath and shaking. Tessa stared as he raised his head to look at her. Dark blonde hair fell in coarse tangles across his forehead and reached to his shoulders. His eyes, an intense, startling golden brown, were ringed with dark lashes.

Tessa was so surprised, her scream came out only as a strangled gasp. She scuttled backward, away from him, and scrambled to her feet. Her heart was pounding. “Okay, wake up,” Tessa told herself. “Wake up.”

The guy stared at her. He was panting in deep, heaving breaths, as if he’d been running. He stood. He was tall, and dressed in a gray cloak and suede pants and boots; all were torn and muddy. His lean, tanned face was dirty too, and he had an ugly gash down one cheek.

FTC Advisory: Delacorte Books for Young Readers/Random House provided me with a copy of Warped. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warped.

06/13/2013 marked as: read