Jill's Reviews > The Colour

The Colour by Rose Tremain

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: started-didn-t-finish
Read from July 09 to 11, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colour.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Friederike Knabe Hi Jill, did you take a break from it or did you decide not to finish. How far did you get?

message 2: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill Hi Friederike--I seem to be in this strange reading place where I pick up books and then put them down. I read about 175 pages. She is a talented writer -- there is no doubt about that. But I felt that I had read the story before, from Isabel Allende, and it began feeling like an old-fashioned adventure story. Nothing wrong with that, but I just needed something different.

Friederike Knabe Jill wrote: "Hi Friederike--I seem to be in this strange reading place where I pick up books and then put them down. I read about 175 pages. She is a talented writer -- there is no doubt about that. But I fe..."

I can see what you mean, but it turns into quite a different direction later. I remember that latter section most clearly... I wouldn't compare her with Allende, though. But then I have not read much by her.

message 4: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill It was a particular book by Allende -- can't remember the name now. I was entranced at first, but rapidly lost interest as it turned into an adventure tale. If it swerves back again, I'll pick it back up again, since I already read nearly half of it...

Friederike Knabe Yes, I had a similar impression with whatever Allende book I was reading... well, you might get into the mood again and pick this one up at a later time.

I just finished Tea Obreht's Tiger's Wife. It will take some thinking to write a review.

message 6: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill Pls. give me a heads-up when you post on Tiger's Wife. It isn't an easy one to review, indeed. Roger and I had the same issues with it, which I will share after you post.