Jen's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Sep 13, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, paid-full-price, read-in-2010
Read from September 08 to 09, 2010

I probably would've given a slightly higher star rating if there hadn't been so much damn hype around this book.

Alright. I'm feeling pro/con-y today. I'm taking a break from pharmacology homework to write this, so I need to get back to that. And it's a football Saturday, I've got a Bud Light in hand, so my thoughts are less than structured.

Pros:
- The cover is pretty, even though I can't decide how it correlates to the story.
- There is a seriously wide variety of paranormal creatures in this book, each type having their own special powers/abilities. Vamps, werewolves, fey, water nymphs, mermaids, hags, gnomes, trolls. Yay for a smorgasbord of weirdness!
- The idea behind the book is cool. The International Paranormal Containment Agency hires Evie to track down unruly paranormals who threaten the unveiling of their existence, allowing her to tase them to the fullest extent of her desire.
- Evie is an especially special (heh) abnormal human who can see through paranormal creatures' glamours. She kicks serious butt and can take down a gaggle of vamps without a second thought.
- I didn't lose interest in the book throughout the first 4/5 of the novel.
- Evie's fascination with lockers was cute and funny.
- There were some really clever lines in this book. The interaction between Lend and Evie caused some near-LOLs.

Cons:
- Evie was annoying. I found her cute at first. Ya know, she's a girl who doesn't get out much (read: ever) and she clings to whatever sense of normalcy available with every fiber of her being. She watches hip teen shows and wears zebra print dresses and pink stiletto boots. She has a right to be a little weird. But somewhere along the line, she just began to grind my gears and wasn't cute anymore. I can't get much more descriptive than that, really, because I don't know when exactly she began to annoy me.
- Lackluster love interests. Reth was semi-appealing at first, until he uttered the line "let me fill you." I think I temporarily lost control of my gag reflex and gastric content at that moment. I later found out it didn't mean what I thought it meant, but WHO CARES?! That line should never be used in any context whatsoever, unless he's a bartender offering to fill her drink or a millionaire offering to fill her bank account. Lend just bored me. He shouldn't have bored me because he's your typical nice guy who isn't quite normal and, like the heroine, is looking for somewhere to belong. But he just didn't do it for me.
- The villain wasn't scary.
- The weird, hokey ending with the floating and the souls and the WTF.

This book may appeal to many people and apparently has. I'll probably read the sequel, but I'm not rushing out to get it. If you like cutesy books with happy little rainbow endings, by all means, help yourself. It could've been better, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

09/08/2010 page 51
14.0% "I digs it :)" 19 comments
09/08/2010 page 143
41.0% "It's entertaining, I can tell you that."
09/08/2010 page 237
67.0% "Unless the finale pulls out all the stops, this is headed for a 3.5er."

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I've ordered this. Can't wait to hear what you think.

message 2: by Kim (last edited Sep 09, 2010 11:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim This is waiting on my Kindle, can't wait to see your review.

message 3: by Alexa (last edited Sep 11, 2010 03:04PM) (new) - added it

Alexa Let me fill you.
Omg I would have thought dirty thoughts too. XD

Tasey... lulz

Hmm I will probably read this from the library, whenever they get it.

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic LOL. Let me fill you, I hope when he asked her that she slapped him. Another awesome review. I'm excited for my copy to arrive it should be an interesting read.

message 5: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F How can you take "let me fill you" any other way but dirty? I tried to think of appropriate reasons but all I got was the creepy mental image of some man stroking his prized sports car with a gas pump in his hand.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Morgan. That comment warranted a legitimate LOL. holy crap. I'm never gonna forget that image.

message 7: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LMAO... 'let me fill you' ??? Yeah that was intended to be dirty...

Janina Oookay ;)... I don't think I'm going to buy this, it sounds like I wouldn't enjoy it that much. This strange taser had me worried right from the beginning.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim - Pink taser with rhinestones? Acceptable. Pink taser with rhinestones named "Tasey?" *facepalm* *headdesk* *keysmash* OAIm PA7A *Wrj H~! LK#(*&%(T~~!!!!

I really can't say what my thoughts are about this, because they'd kick me off the website.

I'll settle for 'lol forever' or something. I'm so reading this thing as soon as I finish one of my books.

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen It's not even like a "ha-ha I call it Tasey lulz zomg jay kay!"
one time thing. She refers to it as Tasey affectionately several times and feels naked without it. I mean, frickin' a. Couldn't she name it something funny like Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock?

~Tina~ Couldn't she name it something funny like Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock?

^^^ ROFLLMAO!! Gawd I loved that show XD

Great review hun and I totally agree with it. I guess I'm just one of them who like the rainbow effect:D

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I use way too many one liners from that show on a daily basis. I can keep on watching those episodes without getting bored.

~Tina~ Same! ~hugs her box sets~

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen "Paper! Snow! A ghost!"

message 15: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen It is my favorite show of all time. My husband and I watch it every night before falling asleep. We just keep watching the seasons all the way through, over and over. Except for special ones like "The One Where Joey Speaks French," which has been cleared for daily viewing, if need be.

~Tina~ Stop LMAO! I'll end up putting it in and I'll never finish my book! I wish those shows never ended!

message 17: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen I had a sense of emptiness after watching the last episode. It lasted a long time. I didn't even cry, I just felt numb :(

Okay, I'm done :)

~Tina~ It'll always be the most epic show I've ever ever watched ~sheds a tear~

Okay, I'm done too;)

message 19: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F I've only ever watched it on repeats. It was a bit before my time. I remember walking into my moms room while she watching it when I was little, and thinking it was boring because all the people did was talk.

Sheralyn Loved this book, but also loved your review. Great points, all. :)

Brandy I loved this book, I don't know what your problem with hype is but you must hate all the well know authors since that is a problem for you. I didn't find Evelyn in least bit irritating and gave it 5 stars as for the comment about filling her... get your mind out of the gutter. I have 3 daughters and would never let them read anything vulgar and this wasn't in the least. I don't agree with your review but atleast you left one.

message 22: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen What I meant about the hype is that I was expecting something mind-blowing but unfortunately my opinion of this book didn't live up to the glowing reviews that others left. You telling me your opinion isn't going to change mine in any way, so I'm not going to justify your comment with an argument. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I will continue to review books as I see fit. If you are offended by them, you have the option to simply not read them.

Brandy That is not how you put "hype" in the review, you made it sound as though its popularity turned you off, If I miss uderstood that part then I apologize but will stand my ground about the other "dirty" comment. It offended me as a reader and a parent, and some YA's do look at reviews and this is not the kind of thing that should be put in there heads. Enough said.

message 24: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen I don't feel the need to defend my review further. You may think as you please.

Brandy then y do you keep replying

message 26: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Brandy, I just wanted to politely point out that Jen never said in her review that the let me fill you line was dirty, she said it was gag-worthy. Insinuations about it being dirty were made by others *points at self* that have never read the book. And, let’s face it, that line does seem to fit quite nicely in a bodice ripper sort of book rather than a YA one. But that’s neither here nor there.

If you are offended by her review, then you might want to consider reading reviews that praise this book rather than looking for ones that don’t share your feelings about Paranormalcy. I’m sure there are a few out there you’d enjoy much more than this thread.

Happy reading, Brandy. :)

~Tina~ *points to self as well* My mind was totally in the gutter when I read the words 'Let me fill you' I found it hilarious that the author used that particular phrase to describe what he wanted to do to Evie, not that was a bad thing, just a funny thing.
Like Arlene pointed out, Jen just thought it was gag-worthy. I don't blame her really, it kinda was.
Still, I liked this book and it looks like Jen here didn't hate it, just had a few choice words to express her feelings, which is cool since all opinions are never wrong, it's just...theirs.

message 28: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LOL Tina. I'm definitely going to read this book and I'll probably giggle when I read that line. But see, that's what I love about reading, you just go with it and have fun. It's all good! :)

message 29: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen And it seriously was a fun book to read, Arlene. The author obviously has a great sense of humor and knows how to produce a compelling read. I read it in a day, so it clearly wasn't ghastly. Tina loved it, as well as tons of others. I'm still picking up the sequel. Three stars is not a bad rating at all. It's the first in a series, and it has a lot of potential. I was left with several unanswered questions, if I recall correctly.

message 30: by ~Tina~ (last edited Oct 11, 2010 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Tina~ Arlene wrote: "LOL Tina. I'm definitely going to read this book and I'll probably giggle when I read that line. But see, that's what I love about reading, you just go with it and have fun. It's all good! :)"

o.O

message 31: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen I definitely require Kim to read this. It seems right up her alley and will likely result in an EPIC review. And you know she'll have a blast writing it. This one was definitely full of intentional and unintentional LOLs.

message 32: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Jen wrote: "I had a sense of emptiness after watching the last episode. It lasted a long time. I didn't even cry, I just felt numb :(

Okay, I'm done :)"

I cried like a baby. I yelled at my tv when I was watching it 'OMFG GET OFF THE PLANE WOMAN' and then bawled my eyes out when she did XD

message 33: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen And Tina, in regard to the last paragraph, the "if you like rainbows and bunnies, you'll like this" or whatever I wrote... I realize that could be kind of a dig at you, because you liked it. Sometimes I'm in the mood for those, too! I was just expecting something ground-breaking with all the pre-release reviews. If you want to talk fluffy and FULL of fuzzy bunnies, you should check out the Dark Guardian series by Rachel Hawthorne. Those may very well be the cheesiest (in a good way), light, and will give you a toothache with their unbearable sweetness... But I ate them all up and loved them. Again, it depends on the mood, I guess.

message 34: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LOL Tina, Oh you know that's definitely going to happen. hahaha

I stand by the fact that I feel your review is awesome Jen. There is nothing offensive about it. I can't wait to read Paranormalcy. :)

message 35: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim ~Tina~ wrote: "Exactly! Ohh and beware cause I swear Kim is gonna sneak up on you in your head while reading. If you here a booming laughter? that would be her ~nods~"

My laughs are always at wake-up-the-neighbors volume ^^

Seriously, I'd read this book right now if I wasn't already in over my head. I'll read it as soon as I finish one of the other books I'm reading, I can't put it off any longer, the anticipation is killing me.

message 36: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Kim wrote:

I cried like a baby. I yelled at my tv whe..."

My husband and I are on season two of our third go-round with the series. I cried when Ben was born. And I still can't get through the M&C engagement without sobbing.

message 37: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I missed it, are we talking about Friends????

If so, my favorite lines:
Retract the device! Retract the device!
P.I.V.O.T!! P.I.V.O.T!!

Don't get me started, I love that show to pieces!

~Tina~ Jen wrote: "And Tina, in regard to the last paragraph, the "if you like rainbows and bunnies, you'll like this" or whatever I wrote... I realize that could be kind of a dig at you, because you liked it. Someti..."

Oh no hun, I didn't think it was a dig, you all know I like my sap rainbow and bunnies reads and then some:D
I actually have the first book in the Dark Guardian series, but haven't gotten to it yet, I'll have to start that sooner then I thought! Thanks hun:)

message 39: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Thanks, Arlene! My goal was not to offend whatsoever. And after re-reading my review, I did notice that I didn't say anything "vulgar," though my mind was absolutely comfortable residing in the gutter (I'm a Booker, so what's that say about me? ;)

message 40: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LOL Jen, you're in good company then. I think we'd all think the same thing. I know I would! Wear your booker heals with pride, hun!

Brandy I believe I was talking to Jen but now that you bring it up, I don't believe it is appropriate to insinuate things of that nature in a book for YA's when it obviously isn't part of the story or meant to be taken that way. I can see if the review was for a adult book. There is enough smutty talk around without adding it to a book when it wasn't there originally. So lets not put words in my mouth. I was trying to make a point that alot of YA's read reviews and that the reviews should be tasteful in nature and not insinuate inappropriate things. I liked most of Jen's review but I wouldn't want my teen to read the review or the public comments about it. I know everyone perceives a story differently and everyone has the write to there review opinion but I also believe they should have some accountability for what they write and the ideas that they give to children. It was obviously not meant the way you all took it and I think it is a shame that a child might be one step farther away from his childhood innocence by reading all of this.

Brandy and since I don't want to hear anymore I am taking this off of my update feed... happy reviewing :)

message 43: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F If this review could corrupt your kids innocence, she (or he, I guess) obviously has never been to high school.

message 44: by Alexa (new) - added it

Alexa lol Morgan. XD Like seriously.

I think someone wants the last word.

~Tina~ LOL Morgan!!!

Exactly Alexa ^^ @.@

message 46: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LMAO Morgan!!!!!!!!!

@Alexa, Yup. I got that feeling too. :/

message 47: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Jen,

Keep writing your reviews! There will always be people who believe that their opinion is the only opinion. I think she totally missed the boat about why people review books in the first place!

A different Tina

Michelle Madow Omigosh. I didn't even think of the "let me fill you" thing that way until you said it. Now ... how could I not have seen it earlier?! Haha <3

« Dani » Jen, I soo agree with you. now I have read your review, I'm not even going to bother writing mine, because i'd just be repeating what you said.
I didn't even understand what happened at the end, i was exactly like WTF -literally - and the taser? Seriously, NAMED TASEY? Everytime I came across 'tasey' i just ignored it. Reth annoyed me, annoyed me, ALOT. Anyway, enough rant. GREAT REVIEW!

message 50: by Ashton (new)

Ashton They use that let me fill you line in Water for Elephants too. Gag me with a spoon. Except I think its more like... please let me be in you? whatever. Either way. Its obvious its true love.