Ann's Reviews > Gods Behaving Badly

Apr 09, 2010

bookshelves: from-family
Read in April, 2010

p.221
"...since the moment that he had exploded into belief..."

pp.258-59
"You can save the world or you can have your Alice."
..."What's your choice?" said Hades.
"World," said Neil.
..."But why?" said Hades.
"Everybody loves somebody," said Neil. "So I lose her. But everybody else gets to keep theirs. It's what she'd do."

p.4 from author interview on her writing process
But reading is ultimately distracting as I'm dealing with other people's thoughts, so sometimes I have to put the books down and just think. I think in the shower, doing the shopping, tidying the house, and I get vast amounts of thinking done on the bus. I think in bed, last thing at night and first thing in the morning, because being half asleep pushes open the door to my subconscious just that little bit wider. Mostly, though, I lie on the sofa and think (I have a special sofa in my study for this purpose -- chosen by stretching out on all the sofas in Ikea to find out which one was the thinkiest). This causes untold problems in the pub ("God, I've been lying on the sofa all day, I'm knackered").
I think until I can't bear it any longer and then I start writing, but it's never long enough. I get myself stuck and have to take weeks out in the middle of drafts just to think some more, and then I get furious with myself for "not doing any work," forcing myself back to the computer too soon, and end up with writer's block, which is basically just thinking plus self-loathing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods Behaving Badly.