Kate's Reviews > I'm The Biggest Thing in the Ocean

I'm The Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry

Apr 09, 10

If you’re an adult who enjoys clever children’s books, or if you know or even are a child who likes clever books, you will surely enjoy this one. In the vein of Jon Scieszka (and not just because it has a squid in it), this book takes familiar characters and gives them a fresh personality and humor. Squids have never been accused of being particularly funny, but Sherry’s blue giant squid is exactly that, even though he doesn’t necessarily mean to be. The Squid prides himself on being the biggest thing in the ocean; bigger than some shrimp, bigger than clams, bigger than a shark even; but eventually, he finds a creature that is much, much bigger than him, as in, big enough to eat him. Leave it to our main character to look on the bright side of things, though. It has a hilarious ending, but you really have to see it for yourself to appreciate just how blindly egotistical this squid really is. The watercolor and paper collage illustrations are fun and colorful and really capture the world of this squid magnificently. A book I could not more highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm The Biggest Thing in the Ocean.