Lydia Presley's Reviews > Billie Girl

Billie Girl by Vickie Weaver

Apr 09, 10

bookshelves: 2010, dark-fiction, fiction, social_issues, southern
Read on April 09, 2010

I'm really struggling with trying to find the words to write this review. I have never been so completely disgusted with a book in my life, but that said, I still read the entire thing.

Let me just say this much - if there was an opportunity for this author to delve into the most perverse part of human nature, she took it. I've never read any book that deals more with women's personal things as I read in this book. I feel uncomfortable delving more into what all disturbed me about this book, but that was a large portion of it.

Is the book badly written, however? No. It's structured well, the characters are interesting, the setting is perfect. This is for all intents and purposes a depressing, dark, southern book. It's meant to show the side of killing for mercy and explore one of the characters that could kill in such a way.

This book made my heart heavy. Maybe that is what the author intended, I really don't know. I do know that I've been unable to shake the funk it's put me in for the last few hours and am anxious to put the story behind me in favor of something a little less depressing and horrifying.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Billie Girl.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Nichole I agree; this book put me in the weirdest mood. I had to read some David Sedaris afterward to feel okay again.