Zeek's Reviews > The Raven Prince

The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt

Apr 09, 10

bookshelves: romance, hist-rom, favorite-author
Read in August, 2007

I've seen nothing but good reviews on this one, (well, mostly) as I'm sure you have ... and I'm adding one more! Very satisfying read.

Set in the late 1700's when powdered wigs were still the rage, we first meet Our Hero and Heroine when they all but crash into each other on the road. His horse get startled and unseats him into a puddle when he happened upon her making her way home from the village. Although Edward berates Anna for startling his horse she stands up to him and makes an impression on him that he doesn't forget. Edward is an Earl and she is a widowed woman- a lady to be sure but not of his class. Although this story IS set in the 1700's it reads more like an Austen novel. I kept picturing her in a cottage much like the small one that Elinor and Marriane Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility moved into after their sister-in-law gave them the boot.

Edward is not a classic romance hero. His face and body is scarred with pockmarks but we soon forget that much as Anna did, because his personality is so confident. (I must confess, I haven't read a romance hero that I've liked more in long time!) he's brusque to the point of rude but he also has a soft side that, naturally Anna brings out. Anna is also a strong enough heroine to match him and her soft heart, as well as intelligence, makes her quite likable.

After their initial meeting Anna thinks she'll never see him again, but thru a twist of fate ends up as Edward's personal secretary. When she discovers she has an attraction to him, and suspects he has one to her, she is frustrated beyond belief when he leaves for London. She knows full well he's visiting a brothel, because she saw the bill in his desk drawer, and decides to step out of society's confines to follow him. (Conveniently she's befriended a woman who has an "in" to the very same brothel.) She hides her identity behind a mask, and ensures that SHE is the one he will meet with when he gets there.

The sex is hot, and Edward finds himself bewildered because, although he can't get Anna out of his mind, this new woman has turned his fancy as well.

There is of course some things (or persons I should say) that come in to complicate the situation even more, but, in the end they have their happily ever after and we've had an entertaining read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Prince.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

AgentScully Great review Zeek! This one's been in my TBR forever.