Sadie's Reviews > Serena

Serena by Ron Rash

Apr 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010, books-i-own, historical-fiction, sbc
Read from April 09 to 10, 2010

I picked Serena by Ron Rash based solely on the description on the back of the book. Honestly, this book was just not my style. It was set in North Carolina in the late 1920's early 1930's with newlywed couple George and Serena Pemberton. Together the couple works to create an empire out of their logging/timber business. Serena the female lead character is interesting because she defies not only the societal expectations of women at that time, but of women over the expanse of time.

She's ruthless, heartless, greedy, lacks emotion over everything. She's secretive about her past and insists on only living in the present as such she seems not to care about her family who all died when she was only 16. Serena without a doubt knows what she wants and is more than willing to kill anyone who stands in her way. As far as characters go Serena is incredibly unlikable. She's cold and calculating and almost seems inhuman because she cares little for the lives of those around her.

In the beginning it seems Serena has found a perfect match in her husband but an added twist to the plot is that Serena's husband has an illegitimate child with with another women (prior to his meeting and marrying Serena) and when Serena is unable to have children she decides that the child and her mother must also be killed.

Overall, I didn't like this book. The logging, the killing, the unbelievable characters just did not suit my tastes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serena.