Ali's Reviews > The Book Thief

Apr 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: grade-8-ir-books-nicole
Read in March, 2010

In this book, the main character is Liesel. Liesel had a mom and dad at one point, but now they're dead. On her way to her foster parent's home, her brother dies. For a while, she is depressed. The only thing that truly makes her happy is reading books. Throughout the book, she encounters love, and hate. Love for her new brother, Max and hatred for the Fuher, Adolf Hitler.

In this book, Liesel's family is dead. She is shipped off to a foster family in Germany, where Hitler reigns. In order to survive her father's rejection from the Nazi Party, and all of her loses, Liesel needs to read. She needs to read and steal. She then becomes known at the Book Thief. At least by Death. But will her reading be enough to overcome The Nazi Party and her family's past?

I gave this book three stars. The reason for this rating is that I thought it was way too long. Because it was too long, there wasn't a lot going on at times. I usually like books that have constant action. However, it was still a good book, just not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.