Joline Pruitt's Reviews > Zeitoun

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

Apr 09, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read in May, 2011

Wow. This book blew me away. Just when I thought it was about an every day biracial Muslim family's story surviving Katrina, I caught a one-two punch to the stomach with even deeper dissapointment and shame of our government than I ever expected. This is one of those books that I feel like forcing down the throats of everyone I know. Also, Dave Eggers is awesome. I have What is the What and now I can't wait to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zeitoun.

message 1: by mim (new)

mim I read about this book when it first came out and glance through a copy when I saw it at 826 in L.A. I knew it'd be a hard read and would make me angry. I always want to try to do something to make things better and in cases like this, I always feel helpless. Okay, Everyone should read it? You don't have to shove it down my throat by you may have to hold my hand.

Joline Pruitt It might help to know that if you buy a new copy all proceeds go to the Zeitoun foundation. However if you read about the foundation, it might ruin some elements of the story for you. It isn't too bad. I actually thought it would be much worse.

message 3: by mim (new)

mim Okay, I'll be able to get a new copy at my local indie book store. Thanks for letting me know.