Blanca's Reviews > The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2007

The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2007 by Dave Eggers

Nov 30, 07

bookshelves: shortfiction

Reviewing the diversity and creative selection in this compiliation simultaneously:

1) gives me hope that public education can be saved with the involvement of community efforts guiding students with enrichment programs such as www.826national.org

2) impresses me with the level of sophisticated literary tastes high school kids in San Francisco deliver with their witty lists and impressive knowledge of music I would not have known at their age.

3) makes me worry that these kids will make me obsolete shortly after graduating from high school.

That said, selections that stuck out include Conan O'Brien's graduation speech, and Miranda July. These only stick out because they are better known, but other pieces are sterling and probably better than the popular selection. Jonathan Ames' feature story for Spin is wry and well written, "Ghost Children" is chilling without being heavy-handed and Alison B.'s "A Happy Death" excerpt from her graphic novel memoir, Fun House is poignant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2007.