Carla Jean's Reviews > The Summer Before

The Summer Before by Ann M. Martin

Apr 09, 2010

bookshelves: library-books, readin2010
Read from April 08 to 09, 2010 , read count: 1

Surely this book will attract as much (or more!) attention from women my age as from its target audience, which is 9- to 12-year-old girls. For us, this is a throwback to that time in our lives. It was a time when I had an unquenchable thirst for my favorite series, The Baby-sitters Club. I admired those characters and aspired to emulate them. Plus, they got to go to Disney World in the first Super Special. I thought that was really cool.

This book was a faithful prequel to that series, and even 18-plus years later, I appreciated learning about Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia and Stacey's lives before the BSC. Those girls were important in forming my love of reading, from the time I was probably 6 till the end of elementary school. I'm all for anything that gets kids reading, and I hope this book is valuable to a younger generation of readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Before.

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Oh wow! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

There's a really good piece on Ann M. Martin in this month's Bitch magazine.

Carla Jean Lee wrote: "Oh wow! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

There's a really good piece on Ann M. Martin in this month's Bitch magazine."

Ooh, I'll have to look that up! I LOVED the BSC as a child (and I can only imagine that women like me are this book's primary audience). I finished it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Primarily for nostalgia purposes, of course, but it was neat to read about the girls' lives before.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Denton Oh wow, I'll have to pick this up. I read all the BSC books in elementary school. I LOVED the Super Specials too! I think one was a ski trip? Such memories.