Erin's Reviews > Birthmarked

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

Dec 06, 2012

it was ok
Read from December 01 to 06, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I have never read a book where it has been more obvious that the author was an English teacher. I felt like she wrote so you could do an analysis of irony and foreshadowing. (I'm still confused how you can smile ironically). And the whole chapter about blueberries was completely unnecessary.

And the timing of things was just off. Revelations would sometimes occur way too quickly, or she would miss something blatantly obvious for three chapters. She talked about her dead father forever but when her mother died and she lost Leon, she barely talked about it. After her annoying relationship with Leon, you would expect her to be at least a little upset to leave him, but I guess not.

Gaia just annoyed me. She was one-dimensional and kind of an idiot. Leon was annoying, and the other characters were just not that interesting.

Oh god. This dystopian world just doesn't make any sense. So basically this world came out of climate change, and they restricted access to resources to a few people. However, they have an imbreeding problem which is just gross (by the way, when you just tell me that your sister tried to make out with you, I don't want to kiss you). JUST. LET. THE. PEOPLE. INSIDE. And the outside people can't have oxygen? You do realize that oxygen is in the world... Speaking of science, I understand creative license, but when you write about a disease, maybe research it first. On the bright side, correcting the mistakes helped me to study for my AP BIO test so yay?

Sequel? No.

2 out of 5 stars for originality. It wasn't the worst thing I have ever read.

Cover: I do like this cover. For some reason, I really liked the multi colored lines, even if they don't make sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.

12/01/2012 page 50
13.0% "Does anyone else think everything is so sudden in this book? She has entire revelations in one sentence two lines after she learns something. Also the obvious foreshadowing is insulting my intelligence a little."