Heidi-Marie's Reviews > On Top of the Potty: And Other Get-Up-and-Go Songs

Apr 08, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: children-0-12, picture-books, teaching-concepts, poetry
Read on April 08, 2010

I think my IQ just dropped. This is a whole new level of "bathroom humor." I understand the purpose meant behind it, and I know some would be very grateful and maybe even say it helped them a lot. But I can't help thinking it wasn't totally necessary. My parents managed to potty-train 8 kids without any silly bathroom songs to encourage us. I guess if it gives a parent another tool to help in that very trying time of any parent's life, then all right.

I know this could have been written a lot worse. Meaning, it could have been a bit more crude or disgusting, or how gross and immature can we make this to make you laugh. It really wasn't THAT bad. Yet there were enough words used again and again that I personally find crude and have never used in my life. And some of the humor was just...wrong. In my opinion. And putting them to tunes I know? Oh goodness. I hope these songs don't come back to haunt me.

Oh. And I know many love it, but I'm not really a fan of this illustrator's work.

I will admit: the only reason I read this book was because the subtitle DID make me laugh...and that I felt a connection to the cover illustration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Top of the Potty.