Niagmiv's Reviews > The Latehomecomer: A Hmong Family Memoir

The Latehomecomer by Kao Kalia Yang

Apr 08, 2010

Read from April 07 to 08, 2010

It is a book like this that gives hope to the hundreds of thousands of us that are 'refugees' within the United States and strive for that American Dream. However, the reason why I enjoyed this book is because Kao Kalia Yang thoroughly explored the heart and soul of her loved ones and shared it with all of us through her poetic language. For one, the Hmong people are not so open with their feelings and thoughts. Secondly, there were multiple generations who were all in different stages of life. To successfully convey these emotions, Yang carefully paints images of what she saw and how she interpreted what she saw, all throughout the different stages of her life. By doing so, each of her family members came through as individuals with their own struggles and not just another family member.

Being so young, this memoir is not so much about herself as it is a tribute to her grandmother and her parents for their endless love and sacrifice for the survival of a people, her family. Hidden between the lines and pages, it is a story about a bigger people and their struggles, the Hmong. She gave a voice to a people who were not heard. She gave body to a people who were not seen. Most importantly, she gave us Hmong a place in history.

And if you dig even deeper in between the lines, the story is no longer about any particular people, but all people come to terms with life and death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Latehomecomer.