Whitney's Reviews > Specials

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

F 50x66
Apr 08, 2010

liked it

I think I liked this book better than the first 2. There was much more action involved and I found myself constantly wondering where the author was going to go with the story. Of course, I was suprised with his ending. That is not what I would have expected, at all. I suspect that he wrote himself into a corner, but it does provides some closure.
For all the people that comment on the inappropriate nature of portraying teenagers cohabitating, drinking, and even cutting, I kind of feel that the author was trying to show the reader the dangers of putting too much trust with those in power. This lifestyle had become the norm to these people because the government regulated every aspect and removed the parents from the scenario. What are a bunch of newly beautiful teenagers going to do with no supervision and access to endless parties, booze, and the opposite sex?
At some point, the author reveals that other cities were not as strict and likely didn't brainwash their inhabitants. I suppose if you wanted to, you could draw parallels to 20th century history, but I'm not willing to get into that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Specials.