Kevin's Reviews > My Soul to Save

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent

Apr 08, 2010

it was ok
Read from April 08 to 13, 2010

Book 2 finds us meeting back up with Kaylee, Nash, Tod and crew 6 weeks after the end of Soul Screamers Book 1. This time to try and save a pop princess who has sold her soul to a hellion for fame and fortune. I must say I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one. The characters didn't seem to evolve at all and the whole 'in over my head but getting through by ignorance because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do that' felt played this time. I didn't even enjoy the expanded netherworld much. I liked it better when it was creepy and mysterious. The whole same but skewed thing worked better as a generic description than it does in detail.

This time around it just wasn't as fun for me. Even one of my favorite lines from book 1 (Wierdest. Tuesday. Ever.) was re-hashed (Wierdest. Wednesday. Ever.) and made it feel like cheating and as if the author had run out of ideas. No laugh out loud moments and the scares were a bit boring. The big scary bad guys weren't. They felt pretty tame actually.

All in all a somewhat disappointing follow up to a really fun first outing. I am still trying to decide whether or not to give book 3 a try when it comes out or if the chance at redeeming the series is worth the effort.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Save.

04/08/2010 page 1
0.36% "Just downloaded it on the kindle. First one was a quick fun read."