Amy Sanders's Reviews > Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price

Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price by The Church of Jesus Christ ...

Apr 08, 2010

did not like it
Read in January, 1991

The Book of Mormon:
How does this book make a list as a recommend?
Fiction cloaked as truth? And we wonder at our politics. The emperor is nude.
If you are looking at it for literary purpose, it had over 5000 grammatical errors. The book of Isaiah is plagiarized, right down to the italics in the King James. Yes, God must speak King James.
As for accuracy, where Isaiah is plagiarized, I am sure it is accurate. Watch for context errors. There are some serious errors though, ie: "Jesus was born in Jerusalem." ???? Try Bethlehem! For an author that was transcribing truth, this books data has no foundation. Not backed by archeology, history, or geography. Just a warm fuzzy feeling. I personally recommend Tums, a lack of truth cloaked as truth, gives me indigestion.
For those who seek truth, this one blares out its error. If you have the time to read it, and then go and research the possibility of steel existing in 400 AD in the America’s, and then twist your mind to believe that, you may be a candidate to enjoy this book.
Look to the Smithsonian to see if archeology gives any proofs to this book’s claim.
So many errors, so many things are just flat inaccurate and not possible for the date it was supposed to have happened.
For me, it is like watching a lunar landing on a television during the era of the Revolutionary War, well except that was only 200 years apart. This books errors date over millenniums, not centennials.
FYI, part of Nehemiah’s wall still stands in Jerusalem. That was over 2700 years ago.
The Western Wall of the Temple stands. 2000 years ago.
Truth has a way of standing.
The Pearl of Great Price?
Please...
The original document was an Egyptian papyri on how they buried their dead. It had nothing to do with the Book of Abraham. A complete embarrassment to the Mormon Church that had believed black people were cursed. Retracted after they found the original Papyri. The fact that they keep the book…well that speaks volumes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price.

04/29/2016 marked as: read

Oerba Yun Fang they say that it came from Isaiah, smart one.
second of all, all the nephites had were their memories--it wasn't very far for them to claim he was born in jerusalem.
third, steel today is referred to blandly for many metals, and if you did your research you'd realize that they didn't define metals back then by their chemical elements.
and lastly (but not overall) joseph smith didn't know anything about jerusalem, so how could he have known about the wall or the fact that a decade later after lehi left that jerusalem was destroyed. God, get your facts straight.

Kelsey Simply because a book sacred to a religion is placed on this website does not give anyone the right to comment on and religiously persecute them and that book. Not only is it impossible to give an unbaised rating to a book of this nature, but it is a hate crime to so adamantly tear down a religion whenever the chance arises. Not only does it speak volumes about your intolerance to others different than yourself, but it also fails to accomplish anything of worth. Unless of course, you consider representing yourself as a prejudiced individual a worthy accomplishment.

message 3: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook Kelsey, thank you. I agree with you. I'm a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it. If you are just gonna something rude, don't say anything at all, Amy.

Makai Amy, I am morman and think about it yourself! God helped Joseph Smith through it by angels. He used a urum and thummim. Also I thought what you had to say was rude, disrespectful, and I felt discriminated!!!! If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!!! This is common sense!!!!

message 5: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook Holly. You seem really amazing! How old are you? I'm turning thirteen. I love my beehives class!! I'm so glad you agree with me! We are Mormons! We know it. We live it! And of course, we love it!

Makai hi anna yes i agree

message 7: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook It LDS?

message 8: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook It LDS?

Makai Yes

message 10: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook I love being lds. I don't know what I would have been without it! I've only been going to church since I was four. I'm getting ready to turn thirteen in May.

message 11: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook Half of my family are converts. My mom fell away, my dad has three tattoos and is going to get cover ups of scripture heros. My sister was only eleven when we started going. My mom and my brother are the only ones that were born into the church.

Makai Oh? I was born into the church. Anyway I love talking to you. What state do you live in?

message 13: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook You're so nice! I currently live in Oregon. But my dad and I are trying to convince my mom to movie to Idaho or Utah. My sister goes to BYU Utah. Out of curioustity, how old are you? I'm twelve going onto thirteen.

Makai I'm 12 years old right now and it would be amazing if you moved to Utah. I live in South Dakota.

message 15: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook 2 hounds! A magestic tree hound and a blood hound!

Makai Your pets seem very interesting!!! Out of curiosity where are you originally from???

message 17: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook Oregon. Lived here all twelve years.

Makai Oh really? I was born in Utah.

message 19: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook Sweet!!

message 20: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook I wish I lived in Utah. What made your family move to South Dakota?

Makai My papa's work… We are from Bracknell,UK that is where my parents are from.

message 22: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook Uk? As in United Kingdom?

Makai Yes.

message 24: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook Awesome!! Is there such thing as scones?

Makai Yes. Scones are lovely. Although it is a bit odd when people ask me about tea. You are beautiful in your picture!

message 26: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Cook Thanks. I've heard that there disgusting.

Makai No, they are not they are delightful.

message 28: by Roz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roz This book is amazing and I would appreciate it if you would stop persecuting people for what they believe in.