notgettingenough 's Reviews > Through a Glass, Darkly

Through a Glass, Darkly by Donna Leon

Apr 07, 10

bookshelves: crime-fiction
Read in April, 2010

What a bore. As usual with these sorts of writers when they no longer have a plot in them they turn to political-social issues. In this case the relationship between pollution, glass-making and politics in Venice.

It isn't that I totally don't want to read about these things, but if I do, I will not choose to do so via the conduit of a murder-mystery.

So, no plot to speak of, and on top of that, dreadfully proofread. The book is laced with words hyp-enated for no rea-son whatsoever. I'm guessing something was taken out or added and nobody bothered to check the impact on the type-setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through a Glass, Darkly.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Now, here I have to disagree. I love Donna Leon and have read about 6 or 7 or her Venice-based novels. What I like about them is the relationship of the characters, esp. between Guido and Paula. I think it's charming and Guido plods his way through Italian corruption to solve the crime despite official impediments.

notgettingenough Eric_W wrote: "Now, here I have to disagree. I love Donna Leon and have read about 6 or 7 or her Venice-based novels. What I like about them is the relationship of the characters, esp. between Guido and Paula. I..."

But have you read this one? I USED to enjoy Leon. And, it is very hard not to compare her with Dibdin, a contest he wins pretty easily don't you think?

message 3: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Only read one Dibdin so it's hard for me to say, but I didn't feel the same affinity for Aurelio as I did for Guido. I must admit I haven't read (actually I usually listen to them as audiobooks) all 19 of the Brunetti series, as I mentioned, so perhaps I hit the better ones. And admittedly, Through a Glass Darkly, is still on the TBR list.