Paul Allor's Reviews > Then We Came to the End

Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris

Nov 30, 2007

Recommended for: People who have had a job they hated ... in other words, everyone.
Read in January, 2007

This was the best book I read in 2007. It's hilarious, but also poignant and insightful and more than a little disturbing. It's told in an extremely non-linear fashion. Imagine you're sitting next to a guy in a bar, and he's telling story after story about his absurd workplace. He wouldn't tell them in order, he would tell them as it came to him. That's what this feels like. At the same time, it's clearly not haphazard. Joshua Ferris structured this novel brilliantly, doling out revelations at the moment of greatest impact.

This is Ferris' first novel. I'm already really looking forward to his second. And third. And fourth. And fifth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then We Came to the End.

Gail Paul,
So after I missed this book with the book club I belong to (belong to being a loose term since I've yet to make it to a meeting - hey, they are in Indy, it's a little harder! ;) and then seeing it on countless Top 10 Best Fiction lists of '07, then reading your fantastic review, it's at the top of my list!!!

I'm working on a story about public libraries, so while there today I snatched it up!

Can't wait to dig in!