Nicole Bunge's Reviews > Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin by Tobias S. Buckell

Apr 21, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi, favorite-authors, feminist
Read from April 07 to 16, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ragamuffin.

04/07/2010 page 180
51.14% "Totally digging this - great world building and unique perspective."

Nicole Bunge Really, really good. Gonna have to get the whole series. One nice thing is that while it's (apparently) a trilogy, each book stands alone.
Strong female protagonist, good world-building (ie- we got off the planet without losing our cultural identities) and different cultures took to space differently. And the Pacific Islanders became... vagabond space pirates- the "Raga" (think Jamaican- Reggae.)
Also the 'benevolent' space aliens that run the galaxy keep humanity in it's place by curbing all human technological development and limiting where and how they live.
Very, very cool, and not overly-hard sci-fi. Lot to do with relationships and complex worldviews.

Nicole Bunge Ok, I read this again - now that I'm done with "Crystal Rain." I really, really like this series.
The only problem is the number of spelling errors. It's not egregious... but enough to go - did someone edit this book or not?

I'm on "Sly Mongoose" now, and utterly in love with Pepper. He's like Riddick, only more badass, more intellectual, and (if it's possible) meaner.