Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Noise

Noise by Darin Bradley

Sep 14, 10

bookshelves: post-apocalypse-and-dystopia, read2010, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from September 10 to 12, 2010, read count: 1

I need to buy a third copy of this book, because I keep giving it away.

The other reason is that this is a novel, right, but it really freaked me out. I started feeling that panicky feeling that I had during the gas shortage a year or so ago. What would I do if society really collapsed? Could I be violent if survival depended on it? Do I even have a plan to drink water beyond what I have in my pantry, much less securing my home and belongings and starting a new society with its own rules?

Phew. I'm not sure I'd be up for it. In Noise, Hiram and Levi have a plan ready for when their society collapses, based on the Salvage broadcasts they have been deciphering and documenting for a while. They call it The Book and it basically spells out how they will act in their own society. It also includes intentional dissociative behavior so that they can do what they need to do. Eep. It was disturbing, but wouldn't it be?

The ending was thought provoking because it doesn't answer all the questions I had. Reading the author's interview at the end of the book was helpful but no less distressing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noise.