Meg's Reviews > The Runes of the Earth

The Runes of the Earth by Stephen R. Donaldson

F_50x66
Apr 07, 10

Read in April, 2010

I read the first two series back in high school and/or college--it was the early 90's, anyway, so it's been a while since I've been in this world. I find that finding fantasy I love the way I loved it in high school is so difficult now with 2 English degrees behind me, and I was hoping Donaldson would still hold up.

My answer is...sort of. I still find his prose readable and occasionally even challenging--two English degrees and I can't touch this guy's vocabulary. I like the story, overall, and will read the sequels.

However, certain things kept nagging at me. The absolute worst problem is that Linden can't seem to get through 2 or 3 pages without mentally rehashing EVERYTHING that has happened already. I wish I were exaggerating. After a while I began to think that maybe Donaldson was reminding himself where he'd left off the last time he stopped writing.

It bugs me that approximately 10,000 years have passed and everyone except Stonedowners know *exactly* who Linden is and the minutae of all her adventures, because apparently in the Land oral tradition preserves stories exactly. Also, 10,000 years means zero advances in culture or technology in the Land--or really, 30,000 years.

It also bugs me that almost every character chooses to serve Linden utterly, even if they think she's going to destroy the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Runes of the Earth.