Nan's Reviews > And Only to Deceive

And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander

May 03, 10

bookshelves: no-longer-own, never-again, neo-victorian, romance
Read from May 01 to 02, 2010, read count: 1

As the novel opens, Lady Emily Ashton is horrified. She's a recent (and young) widow, and her period of half-mourning is not yet over. She's entered the stage where it's acceptable to participate in limited social events, and her mother plans to use these occasions to relaunch Emily into the marriage market. Emily had chosen to marry her husband to get away from her mother's matchmaking; apparently, even her status as a widow is not enough to protect her from her mother, now.

Her husband died when on a safari, and after one of his companions visits to offer his condolences, she becomes curious about the man she had married but had barely known. Her curiosity leads her to the British Museum and to the study of Greek artifacts. Emily never knew that her husband was an avid scholar and collector of antiquities; she had thought his only hobby was the rather repellent hunting.

As Emily digs deeper into her husband's life, she learns that he loved her dearly, and she comes to love him as well. She also finds herself in danger from his secrets . . . and those that fear she may uncover them.

I liked this book for about the first half. That section of the novel deals with Emily's desire to educate herself and understand her new identity. After that point, when the mystery kicks in, the book lost my interest. I could see the number of places where Emily was making bad decisions, and it annoyed me. Instead of making her a flawed character (and therefore interesting), her bad decisions seemed designed only to move the plot forward.

Also, does every man in the empire think that she's the most beautiful women he's ever seen?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Only to Deceive.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier It annoyed me too that every man she met seemed to think she was beautiful.

Erica I thought that was just a thing people were saying (that's how a lot of people think women want to be complimented). I thought that Andrew was just manipulating her when he said it...

Kelsy The Emily Infatuation continues in book 2. Just sayin'.

message 4: by Nan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nan Oh, no. That helps to kill any further desire I might have had to continue . . .