Agnes's Reviews > A Vintage Affair

A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff

Apr 07, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in March, 2010

A Vintage Affair, by Isobel Wolff, was a Give away I recently won.
It's about Phoebe Swift, a vintage clothing specialist. Phoebe leaves her comfortable position at Southby's and opens her own vintage clothing store in a London suburb. She craves change after the unexpected death of her very best friend, Emma, and break up of her engagement to Guy.

During this first year, she meets and interacts with quite a number of interesting characters who give her various perspectives on life, and hers in particular.

Meeting Mrs. Bell opens an intriguing tale about best friend during WWII and the Holocaust in France, a lovely handmade blue coat, and betrayal.

Finding a concert program opens a trail to solving this mystery, which Phoebe pursues unknown to Mrs. Bell.

Phoebe does truly love vintage clothing. As she says, "It's like falling in love." And the interviewer replies, "So it's a vintage affair."

While colorfully written and loaded with vintage clothing information (which I found reminding me about clothes I wore in the '60s and '70s)
there are at least five story lines and way too many characters seeming to be important ones. At times the story bogs down in all that information. Ms. Wolff seems to try to include all the latest in characters: pursuing lover, new guy love interest, wealthy older man with a spoiled daughter, looks-fixated mother, divorced and remarried father, breezy friend.

If vintage clothing holds a place of interest for you, this book will be enjoyable.

Oh, and as Phoebe advises, check the poskets before you sell any vintage clothing. You never know what will be found.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Vintage Affair.