Adriana's Reviews > Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Apr 09, 10

bookshelves: ya-friendship, ya-romance, ya-self-identity-family, ya-social-situations-family-relatio, ya-humor
Read from April 01 to 09, 2010

After reading so many ghost, vampire, werewolf, car crash, bullying, eating disorder, "I'm depressed and I hate myself" books I was very glad I picked this one up as my "pick-me-upper". DJ is about to turn 16 and she is running her family's dairy farm because her father is injured and her mom and brother are too busy to help. They live in a tiny town in Wisconsin so everyone knows everyone and there is a bitter rivalry between their high school and the neighboring town's high school. In comes Brian Nelson, who wants to be starting quarterback in the Fall. The only problem is that Brian is from the rival school, and he is a spoiled brat to boot. Or so DJ thinks. Somehow she ends up being his trainer, and then she decides she wants to play football too. There are very poignant moments, mostly when DJ ponders life and her family dynamics. There are also several humorous moments as well, which I enjoyed very much, especially because I was listening to the audio version, and the narrator was excellent at conveying the different voices. At first I thought there was too much mention of being stupid, dumb, and simple minded, but in the end I saw how that was part of the story and the characterization. I give it 4.5 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dairy Queen.

04/09/2010 page 200
04/09/2010 page 200
72.99% "I'm listening to this one - love the narrator. I'm laughing out loud a lot and I definitely want to listen to the next one too."