Bookaholics's Reviews > Patience

Patience by Lisa Valdez

F 50x66
Apr 06, 2010

I have been awaiting the release of Lisa Valdez's second novel, "Patience" for so long! Ironically, I became a little impatient because I loved her debut novel, "Passion" so much. It contained all the elements of romance that I look for: strong/lovable characters, dialog that flows naturally, and sexy romantic elements. "Patience" delivers on all these elements and deserves all 5 stars. Both these books are among my all time favorite romance novels.

This story takes place immediately after Matthew's illegitimacy is revealed to society and his fiancee leaves him for another man. This was revealed at the very end of "Passion". It has been sometime now that society has shunned him and the people who were supposed to be there to support him have left him. He only has his brother Mark and his sister-in-law. Matthew was always intrigued by the second Dare sister, Patience, but now he has the opportunity to explore those feelings. Every chapter reveals a new dimension of how Matthew's past has made him into a honorable man, despite his very dishonorable mother and disloyal fiancee whose father is on a mission to destroy him.

Matthew stays strong and fights for his company, and now, for the love of a truly strong woman who unquestioningly stands by him. I loved how perfectly suited for each other Matt and Patience are. I especially loved how they both played the cello and enjoyed the scene when they play together.

This story was not what I expected when I ran into the submission element. Normally, I am incredibly turned off by submission themes because I just don't get it. I can't describe what it is exactly that made this story different and made it work for me, but I actually found it kind of hot. I think it's because the submission is actually about learning to trust each other. Both Patience and Matthew have reason to be untrusting of people in general, but learn to trust each other. There is a lot of sexual tension throughout the book, but it isn't until 200+ pages into the story that Patience trusts him enough to gift him with her virginity.

I just love Valdez's writing. "Patience" is incredibly well written, believable, and romantic. I cannot wait till the next book about the last Dare sister, Primrose!!!

Reviewed by Sopia from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patience.