Amelia, the pragmatic idealist's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Dec 03, 13

bookshelves: 2010, series-books, ya-kids-teen, dystopian, point-of-view-girl
Read from July 24 to August 03, 2010

2013 edit: Time can do a lot to influence my opinion of books. In some cases, time goes on and I end up appreciating a book more than I did originally, like Ender's Game or The Great Gatsby. But in other cases, time actually diminishes my opinion of certain books.
I'm so sick of all this HG-movie hype. Seriously. Ms. Collins' novels were thought-provoking, but not *that* much. I'm left to wonder if I read the same books as everyone else. Collins' writing style doesn't have that much depth. And I stand by my original comments that Katniss is one of the worst narrators in fiction. Dry as toast.

For me, there is very little difference between The Hunger Games trilogy and the Twilight series. Both have been shamelessly promoted and have run amok on fame and notoriety. To me, Hollywood is where good stories go to die. The marketing is just over-the-top... But as long as authors are treated like celebrities and get more money. That's all that matters, right Ms. Collins? Ms. Clare?
So as a result, The Hunger Games now gets 4 stars; Catching Fire gets 3 stars, and Mockingjay winds up with 2.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

07/26/2010 "kind of like TWILIGHT, there's an imbalance between the narrative voice and character dialogue. Too much Katniss, not enough DIALOGUE. And Katniss is starting to get on my nerves, because she's seriously *not* that interesting. Where are the other characters?!" 6 comments
07/27/2010 "ahhh President Snow! We meet at last. My associates speak so highly of you... :P"
07/27/2010 ""You'll never, ever be able to do anything but live happily ever after with that boy..." Ummm, so I guess no one breaks up or gets divorced in Panem? That seems like a stretch..." 3 comments
07/27/2010 "Umm. Wow. Gale just scored a major touchdown, in my opinion :P" 8 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Not really. But we gotta stand by our dude, you know? Also, I would hardly say that there are a "few" of us! :P

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist pardon me!
Lol, I have to admit, though, that I've never actually met a member of the Gale Team in real life. In fact, I thought they were an imaginary species :P

Peep (Pop! Pop!) GASP!!! Oh. no. you. didn't!! We are here! We're just not as *ahem* loud as that other team. Plus, why brag when we know we're going to win? Wouldn't want to rub it in.....

★ Jess haha Amelia :)
Im Team Peeta! And yes, there is more Gale/Snow in this one.

I am Bastet Gale gets a LITTLE more screen time, but Peeta is still the front and center :-P I'm team Gale, so that's really inconvenient. Though I really disliked this book. Haha.

message 6: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Jul 25, 2010 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Yep, that's why I said not really. He gets some, but most Peetuh lovuhs didn't think it was enough to woo them. It was enough for me to stay Team Gale!

Isis, I didn't like this one as much either.

I am Bastet Peep, haha glad I'm not alone. Though I'm most definitely Team Gale, I can actually make some really good arguments why Peeta will probably be the one Katniss ends up with. :-P Darn!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Yep, and they'd all boil down to Katniss "settling". If she didn't realize it was love by now, then it will never be. Hahahahah!

I am Bastet Hah, exactly. Whenever I think of Peeta, I think of Katniss forcing herself to like him in the first book and I just... yuck.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Lol! The funny thing is, just going by what I know of him from THG, I actually *really* like Gale. :P He's sweet like Peeta (I'm assuming) but he seems to have a little more of a backbone. HOWEVER, it seems likely (from a mostly objective viewpoint, since I just now started the series) that since Peeta gets more "screen time," he's going to be the one she ends up with. Does that make sense? It just seems like if Gale was the one, he'd have more scenes...otherwise it'll seem like Collins deliberately put Katniss with Gale just for the unlikeliness.

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I agree, it makes sense that Peeta would win. It's set up for Peeta to grow on you. Unless she does a total turn around in MJ and gives Gale more screen time, I see Peeta written as her choice, but I don't like it. :P

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist of course, my cousin is absolutely 100% convinced that Peeta will die in MOCKINGJAY, so he actually thinks Katniss may end up with Gale, just as kind of a rebound thing. Of course, he is 12 and doesn't know a thing about women, but still... :P

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I can see that happening, too. Only not as a rebound!

Rebekah Faith it ain't gonna be a rebound, i can tell you that, amelia ^_^. of course then there are the people who say she wont end up with either of them cause she loves 'em both equally.....but who knows?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with you on a ton of this. The pacing got to me. I never fully understood that "TWIST" because it was explained so quickly. I also think your opinion on Katniss nails it.

message 16: by Hope (last edited Aug 03, 2010 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Great review! I totally get what you're saying about Katniss. Sometimes I actually just kind of wanted to slap her. O.o I'd have liked her to show a little more emotion sometimes, too, but I think she's kind of the quiet, brooding type too. They're always saying that she needs to smile more. I think she feels very deep emotions, but she doesn't really know how to express them--actually suppresses them. So I guess Collins is doing a really good job staying "in character" but I'd have liked to see some growth in Katniss. I still like Katniss, but Peeta's the best, definitely. YES, HE'D BETTER LIVE! :)

message 17: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I've noticed the same thing you did about Katniss's grammar, but I agree with your attitude towards it.

Amber Hey Amelia!Great review! And I agree. Peeta is going to live, or I'm going to chuck the book against the wall.

message 19: by ★ Jess (last edited Aug 03, 2010 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

★ Jess *blushes, gets embarrassed*
Twas i who may have said you will like finnick :S
oops.

And as usual, a very good review :)

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist lol, hmmm I didn't think it was you.
*hugs*
and now...we all WAIT :P

★ Jess I know! That ending was so annoying-In a good way.
Youre lucky you only have 2 weeks to wait, i had to wait more then 2 months!
The suspense is killing me!!!!!