Colleen's Reviews > The Mapping of Love and Death

Apr 06, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: whodunnit, ww1
Read in April, 2010

I really enjoy this series of books and Jacqueline Winspear is a good author (even once ventured out to hear her talk and do a QA session and get her autograph). I usually rush when her books first come out and happily plunk down hardcover money for them.

However...

I've come to the conclusion after reading this 7th book, that I absolutely hate the assistant Billy. He was my least favorite in all the other books, but now whenever he shows up on the page, usually whining about his crazy wife or how much he wants to go to Canada, I start wishing that the book will twist to where Maisie comes across his murdered body, surrounded by the tea he's always making.

He's had the same crappy dialogue for like ever too.

My other complaint is how vague and antiseptic this series is. Sort of like Maisie herself. Author kind of dances around and hints at things rather than state flat out. Makes for okay melodrama and is wonderful in small doses, but not entire chapters of this.

I think it's time for the author to wander out of her comfort zone because these books have become formulaic and feel like they've been cranked out. (The first one I'd recommend to anyone, but later ones...probably not). Would be a good idea to switch narrator in the next one to Priscilla, her zany wealthy friend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mapping of Love and Death.

04/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy I have a bit of comfort to offer... Now that Masie's well heeled and has Compton wrapped around her little finger, can't you see her arranging for passage and a job in Canada for the Beales?

Colleen This is true! I'd like her to get a new assistant, so maybe she'll pack Billy off to Canada.

Sherie Ah, but Maisie's intended to take Maurice's place on the international scene and sending Billy and family to Canada will simply position her to have an ally across the pond. Her new found wealth and the threat from her ladyship not to hurt her little boy's feelings will play a part in the next issue(which I'll probably read even if this one left a sour taste).