Mindy's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

May 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from April 25 to 27, 2011

I am brought back to the fantasy world of another fabulous novel created by Cassandra Clare. How does she do it? Where does she come up with it? How does she create such a detailed picture (without the mind-numbing) and draw you into the storyline?

This book for me was extremely dark. It starts out with the main character named Tessa imprisoned and tortured by two awful Downworlder women. Part of the torturing; the Dark Sisters would present her with an item and she would be required to shape-shift into whomever the item belongs to. Shape-shifting is something Tessa never knew she was capable of doing. Since the Dark Sisters were forcing her to shift; sometimes a dozen times a day, it had been a painful and exhausting process. The only thing that can keep Tessa fighting for her life; is the knowledge that they have her brother in captivity and he will be let free if she does what they tell her to do. And her brother is the only living family she has left.

Immediately, I was sucked in.

One thing in particular that I really liked about this book was; that I got to see the true side of someone that is not a Shadowhunter. And seeing why so many Downworlders despise Shadowhunters.

Cassandra Clare did really well to keep everything in the Steampunk era. The worldly descriptions, the characters personalities, even the politics in the order of how someone is treated.

After reading Cassandra Clare’s books; I always tend to go to her website and read through some of her descriptions and FAQ’s. Her website is www.cassandraclare.com.

I found the characters that she created fascinating in their own unique way. I really like, dislike or despise each character. Check out Cassandra Clare’s description here Infernal Characters.

This book was intense, action-packed, magical, horrific and mindboggling all at once. When reading any book written by Cassandra; it is not possible to just fast read through parts of the book or it's likely you will miss something that is essential in the current or later books. And even though I was into a Shadowhunter dream with vivid detail and a book that size; it would normally take me 4 days to read and I devoured this book in 2 nights. And it was delicious!

I would highly recommend that you read Cassandra’s books in the order of publication; for example Mortal Instruments 1, 2, 3, Infernal Devices 1 and Mortal Instruments 4, but it is not necessary.

This book left me really pondering a lot about Cassandra Clare’s Warlocks. How is a Warlock created? If Magnus hasn’t aged in several hundred years, did he stop aging when he was made a Warlock? Are Warlocks born or created? I can’t wait to have all my questions answered! That is what makes the whole thing fun and exciting!

So if you haven’t joined the amazing Shadowhunter world; come join, have fun, and don’t always expect a happy ending.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.