Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Selene of Alexandria

Selene of Alexandria by Faith L. Justice

Jul 04, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, egypt
Read from July 02 to 04, 2010

I almost gave this a three, but the last quarter and the surprise ending brought it up to a four.

The beginning starts great. Readers meet Selene, a young lady of a reputable family Alexandria, Egypt. Note that this is an Alexandria ruled by Rome so it is actually a part of Rome in this particular time. A new Prefect, Orestes is just arriving to take the reigns of the city that is being ruined by religion wars. While Alexandria's Christians and Jews are constantly rioting in the streets and Orestes is struggling to maintain order and keep both sides happy, Selene is trying to become a doctor. She begins this difficult task by deceiving her father, dressing as a boy, and obtaining a meeting with the famous female philospher, Lady Hypatia. From that point on, it's apprenticeship and ministering to the sick. Selene is a very likeable and very strong heroine.

Cyrus, Alexandria's "head priest" has other ideas tho. He keeps inflaming the religion wars and he has his evil heart set on the downfall of Hypatia. He intends to use Selene to get to the lady philospher.

I did not like the parts that focused on Cyrus or the religious strife in Alexandria. Tho important to the outcome of the story, these parts and the religious arguments and discussions just bored me to death. It simply doesn't interest me. However, the ending picked up wonderfully with no end of excitement. There are deaths of family and friends, an accusation of witchcraftery, a trial, an arrest, an escape, and a surprise ending. I wouldn't have chose it to end the way it did but I must admit, I was surprised.

A decent, four star read.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selene of Alexandria.

07/02/2010 page 25
7.0% "I have a long ways to go yet but, it is self published and I haven't thrown it against the wall yet.. That's a good start. :)"
07/02/2010 page 103
30.0% "I got a better title for this: Roman Rebel. Love this chick. She dresses as a boy and sneaks out to meet Hypatia. She wants to be a doctor."
07/03/2010 page 150
43.0% "The parts with Cyrus and relgion this and religion that... zzzzzz."
07/04/2010 page 273
79.0% "The middle of this really dragged, but this last quarter has really picked up with a death, a trial, and an accusation of witchcraft."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shomeret This sounds very much like my sort of book, Tara. I decided to gamble and order it immediately from Amazon.

Tara Chevrestt So far, so good. I'm surprised. Self published could go either way and the most recent ones I picked up weren't very good but this one is good so far. I'm on page 61 as I type this.