Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Elijah

Elijah by Jacquelyn Frank

2043222
Nov 05, 11

Read from May 05 to 29, 2010

This series has a really cool concept. I like the plots, the characters, even the bad guys are incredibly worthy opponents. Wow, the villain Ruth? She is one evil woman. I wish more villains were written like her.

What I don't like is that it is soo overly wordy. In the first few pages, our hero Elijah, the greatest warrior, the fiercest of the fierce, is dying a horrible awful death and he waxes philosophical. For like 9 pages. Really? It happens a lot in this series- the over-analyzing and overly philosophical crap that is soo utterly tedious to read. It's a shame since the storyline is so good.

Moving on, though to the wonderful stuff---Elijah and Siena are great together, I loved it once they actually had dialogue. It was a much better book than Gideon was. And I loved the characters. The plot of demons and shifters finding their soul mates in each other is causing a lot of dissension amongst the other Nightwalkers, and their road to love is no easy path. Bella and Jacob and Gideon and Legna are all still present, as is Noah, whose story is my most anticipated.

I also love (view spoiler)

Damien is an intriguing character, by the way, and I am so excited to read his book.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elijah.

05/27/2010 page 23
6.39% "unimpressed so far"
05/28/2010 page 83
23.06% "It got better"

message 1: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Good review, Laurie! I haven't tried this author, but I know the books are popular. Hopefully, you will like the next book you read more!

Laura the Highland Hussy thanks, it's such a great series, and I'm 3 books in, so I'll finish, but I just can't get over the whole "We're in the middle of battle, but I'm going to spend 3 pages thinking about why I'm in this battle," or right before a big love scene, spending several pages rehashing a previous book, or just thinking too much. That is really my only complaint. Other than that, I love the world JF built and I love the characters.

message 3: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 I agree with you about books that do that and it annoys me when I am reading. This sounds like an interesting world and I know I will probably end up reading them at some point!

Laura the Highland Hussy lol, I read all 5 for the demon lover's challenges and I skimmed a lot. Gideon and Elijah had the worst thinking to themselves scenes out of the 5. I mean Elijah is dying. DYING!! and he's all "the earth, my life, blah blah blah," He's the best freakin' warrior the demons have and he's that much of a pansy that he has to think for 7 pages til he is willing to try to take out more bad guys before he dies?! Really? Really?!
I think Damien was my favorite book, and not just because that's my hubby's name ;)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I have the same problem with this book I don't mind it in the most the book but the sex scenes it drives me mad!

Laura the Highland Hussy seriously! I get so irritated with the writing that I had to stop reading her

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol! I see that I am not sure if I will start reading her other series after this one I will need a looooooooooong break first!

message 9: by Cell1e (new) - added it

Cell1e would be nice if this book and book 2 and 6 were available to those of us in europe using kindle. Able to buy half of these only, the first. Why publish half the books for kindle europe and not the others?

Laura the Highland Hussy Oh wow, I don't know. That seems like a stupid move on the publisher's part

message 11: by Cell1e (new) - added it

Cell1e I know! Its hard to believe they make such mistakes. But is this a publisher error? I was wondering if it was amazon or authors fault?

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I know in the UK that Piatkus picked up the series much later than the US. They published book 6 alongside the US release and were then going to release books 1-5 starting the following year. I've not read any of this series yet so I don't know how far down the road they are with publishing them but that might explain why you can't get all of the books yet Cell1e? Hopefully the rest will be available soon

Laura the Highland Hussy Cell1e wrote: "I know! Its hard to believe they make such mistakes. But is this a publisher error? I was wondering if it was amazon or authors fault?"

Unless the author is self-published, they usually have no control. It would be the publisher's decision. Your best bet would be to go to the publisher's page and email them.

message 14: by Cell1e (new) - added it

Cell1e Oh gosh thanks Sarah and Laura! Great info and I will definitely try both of your suggestions! :D
First stop Piatkus!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Happy to help Cell1e :o)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Have you seen the new covers for them? I love them!

message 18: by Cell1e (new) - added it

Cell1e OMG Suzanne!!! You are an angel!! Thanks a million trillion! :D Wow I have to admit I didnt even know there was such a thing as Amazom europe. Silly me!!

Thank you so very much!! Three books means I can read the whole series!! :D

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) No problem :) I hope you like them :)

message 20: by Cell1e (last edited Jan 06, 2013 02:20PM) (new) - added it

Cell1e I sure will :D

Just tried to buy off uk amazon which recognises my log in user name etc but it wouldnt let me buy those books there, it says 'Kindle titles for your country are not available at Amazon.co.uk.
Please shop for Kindle titles at Amazon.com' This is weird cause my address for all dealings with amazon is here in ireland.
But maybe I can use another email address and make a different account just on uk amazon and then maybe I can buy those books! I hope so!
Thanks Suzanne and everyone for your help! :D