Mariel's Reviews > The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

Dec 18, 2010

Recommended to Mariel by: that teenage feeling
Recommended for: star witness
Read in January, 1987

I knew that the new film version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was going to be bad. I did not know that it was going to be that retarded that I'd question my faith in my own taste. (Not that I don't like retarded stuff. But boring too? Ouch.) Was the book that bad? I don't remember all of it. It's been years since I've read it. Lauren, you're never picking the movie ever again.

A video game version of the movie would be better than the movie. At least it would be more difficult! What the fuck was up with the swords? Was that ALL there was to it? I seem to remember there was more... "Hey, there's the lord's sword. Pick it up." There were all these old lords with ZZ Top beards and no one bust out into "She's got legs"? I guess they forgot how to use them when they were asleep for that long. I seem to remember there was more to the lords than that. I seem to remember that Caspian learned more than a trite "Be your own man" message relating to his hero worship of the dad he didn't know (the movie seems to forget that he didn't know his dad). There was more than gripping the flaccid swords of old men and daddy never touched me as a child. Wasn't there?

The looks thing? What the? Lucy didn't perform a spell to look "beautiful" like Susan (I'm enough of a girl that I thought "Well, she's not THAT pretty..."). She used it to eavesdrop. She found out that her friend said something she didn't mean about her behind her back. Because she did that, they would never be friends the same way again. What Lucy really learned was that people are pissy bitches and one bad mood isn't them all the time. Girls can insult your ugly sweater and still really (sometimes secretly) admire you.

I know that Eustace becoming a dragon and the process of becoming "himself" again was more. I loved that in the book it wasn't some pansy "Be nice" message. Eustace was a jerk because he was afraid of everything, afraid to think for himself. In the movie he learns to be what the "cool kids" want instead of just not being afraid to change. What the? Boo! The "be yourself" message about Lucy and Caspian did not mesh with the "be like everybody else" message they inflicted on the audience about poor Eustace. (The kid who played Eustace was the only good actor in the film. Lucy is an embarrassment. Also inappropriate! She did that wide-eyed wonder grin when her cousin was stuck as a dragon! What idiots let that one go by? They made their heroine look like a bitch.)

Okay, they made a lot of mistakes in the pretty bad Prince Caspian film. He shouldn't have been old. It was nothing to meet him again later on in his life if he's still a young man. The stupid Susan romance? Who cares when he meats (Freudian slip) the star chick if they are pissed he forgets about Susan? I hated that movie. It was pre-school LOTR films battle scenes. They got all wrong what were the good parts of the book.

I know that Edmund admits to being a shit for his first Narnia visit. This is not mentioned in the film. I liked that about Edmund in the book.

Nothing new here: I always loathed Reepicheep. He's the little thing that runs his big mouth so no one will underestimate him. If he was really that good he wouldn't have to run his mouth. He's also the biggest mouth peice for Aslan-mania.

The "Bad stuff happens have faith anyway" stuff. I remember that The Last Battle is the most overtly religious book in the series and I managed to ignore the rest in the other books. They upped the ante? Am I a harder sell?

I don't like this. I feel more or less the same person as before. I'll still read the kids and ya books that recognize the parts of you that you can carry on with you. Not the bad taste for silly melodrama parts but the "That happened and I can't pretend it didn't" experiences. Narnia was such a good part of my life. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the first book I really remember reading. I don't want it to be the bad part that I only pretended was good to get by.

P.s. I don't wanna be all Comic Book Guy, but it annoyed the effing hell out of me that Eustace's mom announces in the end that "Jill Pole is here to see you!" Jill wasn't his friend before! Eustace didn't have friends. So annoying.

Oh yeah! I forgot to say what I thought about writing here while watching that dumb ass movie. They really wasted a golden chance. C.S. Lewis made digs about the loss of freedoms for kids, school systems that babied kids and at the same time allowed fucked up shit to go on so they wouldn't "Stifle" anybody. Kids today have no freedom. Parents will call the cops on each other if they run around outside and play. Yet here was Edmund and Lucy having to be shut-in after they had lived it up as free-thinking adults in Narnia. Instead? They waste it all by bamming audiences on the head about doing what Aslan wants. That doesn't mesh with the good parts of the Narnia series that I remembered it to have.

EDIT- Lauren will be pissed at me for not mentioning the glow in the dark "eevel" green mist. What the hell was that? I don't remember that. They should just let me write these things. The BBC tv movies back in the day combined Voyage and Prince. Probably because the actual plots were so thin. That's why they should let me do it. I'd have made the whole thing a dragon eating its own skin off movie. Prince Caspian would have been a refugee movie.

Lauren really hated the actor who played the magician. You know they are a nobody if they weren't in Harry Potter (some exceptions allowed for LOTR actors).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Have to say, I had a misfortune of watching the movie last weekend. I used to love these books when I was very young (although I remember zero about them) and I kept asking myself why exactly I enjoyed this story.

Also, why is it book #5, but movie #3?

Nikki The looks thing? What the? Lucy didn't perform a spell to look "beautiful" like Susan (I'm enough of a girl that I thought "Well, she's not THAT pretty...").

But in the book, she is tempted to do so...

There is an evil mist in the book, too.

Buuut I can well imagine that the movie didn't 'translate' this stuff well.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Sometimes angry reviews are the best ones!

Manny I'm surprised to hear the movie is so bad! It's had good buzz in England - if you didn't know, the Queen apparently cried at the ending. Maybe she was crying because they'd murdered the original story? I suppose she probably knew C.S. Lewis personally...

Nikki I think it's stuff that worked better in print than it would in film, anyway. We can't see so much what's going on in the characters' minds, on screen -- and the dark mist from the book is part of a land where nightmares come true, which is a pretty powerful moment in the book.

Manny Here's the story. I can't help wondering if it wasn't the 3D glasses though...

The Crimson Fucker holy! there is no TWSS moment in this review!

Denise I think u need to reread the book and notice how boring the part on the lone islands was. Also u obviously don't know a thing about movie making. What would work in a book does not always work in a movie. The green mist was added so there was more of a plot line instead of them just going to find the lords.

Someone already mentioned it but Lucy was going to use the beauty spell but Aslan stopped her and cameos are part of movie making so they had her do that spell so Susan and Peter would each get a cameo.

And don't u dare insult the LOTR battle scenes! Those movies were what set the bar so high for fantasy films! Plus dealing with technology of 2000 made them even more amazing!

The whole series has a religious message in it because the author was religious! Plus the end of the book when they're with Aslan was almost quoted word for word from the original book.

And the Jill Pole line was foreshadowing... duh

message 9: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca Does that spruik count as a troll? How dare you, Calvin? That's...that's....BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Holy cow. Where is ALLCAPS MICHEAL AND HIS LOTR RAGE???

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 29, 2010 05:09PM) (new)

Michelle wrote: "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJR..."

Oh, how I loves me some Leeroy.

Abbey I would just like to point out that you have reviewed the movie, not the book. I would also like to point out that the written word is an entirely different medium than film, & the filmmakers used their artistic license in order to enhance the plot for the movie. As great as this book is, filming it as is would be one boring movie. It would be them sailing, picking up one guy, sailing some more, picking up another guy, sailing some more, finding some gold, sailing, blah blah blah. The producers said that the book is to episodic to translate well into a movie, hence the introduction of the plot line.
Anyway. I liked the movie. Not that you will care but I just thought I would share all of this with you.

message 14: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca Now you got a troll for your film reviews that are book reviews in hiding, Mariel. How do you do it?!?!?!?

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I am in the midst of reading this book, have seen the movie, and decided to see a few reviews. What I don't understand is why I just read a movie review on good reads. I didn't think the movie was awful and a friend who had read the books said it was closest to the books (compared to the other movies made). No offense to your view on the movie, but it doesn't really belong on this site.

message 16: by Abigail (new)

Abigail I find this review very rude. Many people enjoyed this movie and over-all it was a good film. It is offending to the people that spend a year's work on a fairly large project that inspired many people.

I know it is fair for everyone to share their opinion, but some things you should just keep to yourself.

Plus, this suppose to be a BOOK review.

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine YOU HATE THE MOVIE??? :O.......

message 18: by Ben (new) - added it

Ben Are you kidding? That was the best movie to date!!! :)

Sarah How dare you! the movie amazing and so are the books

Sarah I agree with this Abigail girl

Andrés I didn't read your whole review, but just by saying that you don't remember all of it but giving it 5 stars anyway, AND slamming the film at the same time (which was amazing, considering the drab source material) — all in the first paragraph — is making me question your faith in your own taste. I can't believe this is the first review that shows up on this site.

Miriam Aww, I missed this review when it was all rife with trollery. I'm glad I didn't see the film; the Prince Caspian one was so bad I gave up on the films. BUT I have reread the book as an adult and it was still great, so don't worry that you are misremembering.

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen You get all the good trolls M! You're a troll magnet.

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen God, all these jerks and their righteous indignation are hilariously absurd, with their “how dare you” and your review was “rude” to people who worked so hard on that movie. I imagine those people slept soundly the night after posting their remarks knowing that they personally corrected a great injustice in the world.

Also did you know movies and books are not the same thing? Because I actually did not know that until reading your review, thank god for the internet.

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen You should. On goodreads.

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen But where will you post your reviews of movies based on video games?

message 27: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I hope that last one is not really a thing?

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Oh yeah.

message 29: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Little known fact: Sam I Am and Son of Sam are the same dude. Think about it!

Miriam Kristen wrote: "I'm watching Summer of Sam at work now. I'll probably post a review of it on Green Eggs and Ham."

Summer of Sam should be a board game.

message 31: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Or a summer concert series.

Sonja Trbojevic I loved the film!

Brian Eustace is a young and small boy and he is also very odd due to the fact that he calls his mom not mommy and daddy but harold and albertha.while he dislikes his cousions he is happy they are staying so he can bully them. at there time there he finds edumud and lucy the 2 of 4 cousions staring at a painting of Narnia and while he holds up the picture he is sucked into the picture. shortly after he meats Prince Caspin and he tells them they are sailing on a ship

Evreyone gets a cabin that they will spend the night in and they will be staying for many nights. Eustace keepps a diary of his thoughs and then he says that the ship has been horible and he hates the rat named reechip after and he dangled him upside down for fun and rechip fought back. they go to their first island where they are kidnnapided by slave owners however caspin befreinds the master slave owner and manages to help them all esacpe

Miriam Deborah wrote: "Someone remind me not to read this person's reviews in the future."

How do you expect "someone" to remind you of this? You could easily avoid her reviews by blocking her; obviously you are commenting to be rude and not because you expect strangers to help you sort out your internet reading preferences.

Deborah How do you expect "someone" to remind you of this? You could easily avoid her reviews by blocking her; obviously..."

You are correct. I deleted my comment.

Miriam In case you don't know how to block (the option is very hard to see) you click on the person's name, then scroll to the bottom of their page, where the words "block this member" are written in tiny, tiny letters in pale brown at the bottom left. Click on that.

Deborah Miriam wrote: "In case you don't know how to block (the option is very hard to see) you click on the person's name, then scroll to the bottom of their page, where the words "block this member" are written in tiny..."

Thank you.

message 38: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette This has been pointed out possibly....(I stopped reading this almost immediately), but this is supposed to be about a brilliant book, not a movie. And about the movie, do you expect Hollywood to make a truly faithful copy? That's too much to ask, my friends. As far as movies go, I enjoyed it immensely, but then again I really like Skandar Keynes as an actor.

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I really wanted some honest reviews. At this point I am just aggitated and wish I had never bothered. A blog to hash everyones thoughts out would have been the appropriate place for most everyones 'reviews'. Please remember we visit this spot to figure out if we would like to read the book.

Miriam Victoria wrote: "I really wanted some honest reviews. At this point I am just aggitated and wish I had never bothered. A blog to hash everyones thoughts out would have been the appropriate place for most everyones 'reviews'. Please remember we visit this spot to figure out if we would like to read the book."

Did you read the earlier books in the series? You should be able to tell by this point whether you like it or not.

Mariel I don't know why the disgruntled people who don't like my reviews just don't write their own rather than tell me how to write mine.

Miriam Because they're barely-literate morons without a smidgeon of creativity who hate themselves and resent those who are more gifted.

Or they could just be bitch-ass haters. Whichever explanation works better for you.

Mariel That works.

Miriam To be fair, writing reviews is probably intimidating for the spelling-challenged.

Mariel A lot of them don't even get the nerve to bitch without someone else doing it first. Most I get are "I agree with previous poster that this review is garbage".

Miriam You should delete the previous poster(s) but leave those comments out on their lonesome, looking lame.

Mariel I clicked "unsubscribe to all threads", quite accidentally (I wanted out of just one thread), in January 2013. Unless I resubscribed (and I have to for all new threads, still, despite "fixing" my settings) its too late and there's a wall of them by the time I see them. (unless I'm bugged I can't remember if something happened in this book or that one I don't look at my reviews. I'm embarrassed by much of my output here.)

Miriam Ugh, settings are the weirdest.

Nicola Yes, but what did you think of the 'book'!?

Nikki Comparing a book to an adaptation of the book is a valid way of reviewing. I think it's apparent what Mariel thought of the book from her quibbles with the movie.

« previous 1