Heather's Reviews > Black Juice

Black Juice by Margo Lanagan

Apr 06, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: b-o-b-book-club-books, ya-shortstories, books-read-in-2010, ya-library-books, worst-reads-ever-read-nevertheless
Recommended to Heather by: Kerry's b.o.b pick
Read from May 02 to 06, 2010

I really didin't like this book at all. I hate to feel that way, because I try to find at least one thing I can latch onto about a book. Unfortunately, I couldn't even find one of the short stories that appealed to me.

I like weird and different, mainly because those kind of stories step out of the box, but these were too weird and disturbing (not in a good way, for me at least).

For the first time, I found a book I wasn't willing to finish. I did leave one short story unread and I only read the rest because my book club is discussing this in a month. I even glazed over the last few narrations.

My main issue was the writing and the nature of some stories. Maybe they were lost on me or maybe I thought I was more enlightened than I really am. Who knows... The truth is most readers will absorb the overall message about our society if the stories are something we can relate to and are interesting. In the case of this book, I thought the execution was lacking any appeal.

I just thought this book was strange...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Juice.

05/02/2010 page 30
05/04/2010 page 50
19.31% "This is very weird..."