Shellie's Reviews > Passing Strange: A Gilded Age Tale of Love and Deception Across the Color Line

Passing Strange by Martha A. Sandweiss

I have never been so deceived by a title, subtitle, cover photo, and interview as I was with this book. It is not what it appears or claims to be, there is nothing of the romance so boldly spoken of. OH wait there are some of his love letters to her still in existence (somewhere) but most of their "life together" is speculation based on current events in newspapers and census records. The research is remarkable and deep - this was more a history lesson than anything. This is a documentary - plain and simple - except it is NOT plain or simple! It is a complex story of love, race, secrets and money told from an absolute outsider and old court proceedings.
It is extremely interesting and curious, I DID really enjoy it (see the 4 stars), and I think it would be beneficial for most readers (certainly ones interested in racial history) this is NOT "A Gilded Age Tale of Love and Deception Across the Color Line" it is the documentation and historical facts of that story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passing Strange.