Rose Lerner's Reviews > Wild Ride

Wild Ride by Jennifer Crusie

May 02, 12

Read in April, 2010

I knew in advance that I would love this book because it was by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer (I really need to finally read Don't Look Down since I loved Agnes and the Hitman and this one so much) and because it was about an amusement park that is also a demon prison.

My one minor disappointment is that there were so many characters that no two of them interacted as much as I wanted them to. I especially would have liked to see Ethan and Mab spend more time together, although that's definitely my own fault for assuming that even though it wasn't a romance, it would still focus on the relationship between the two POV characters. I just love buddy-cop-type stories!

I adored every character, and the plot was fabulous. I especially loved the way the portrayal of demons started out very black/white, good/evil, and then grew more nuanced. (This is what I wanted so badly to see on Buffy and never did--yes, we got demon and vampire characters who were obviously not evil, or not more evil than humans anyway, but the ideology never changed from "stake them on sight, they HAVE NO SOUL!") I think my favorite character was Cindy, the ice-cream maker. I loved her ice cream and how her subconscious manifests as dragons and how when the demons were acting out everyone's worst fear, they chanted at her "Hungry, hungry, can't feed us!" What can I say, I'm a cook.

Plus, I loved the recurring theme of the fortune "He loves you as much as he can, but he cannot love you very much," because my mom actually got that fortune one time. While out to dinner with my dad, I think, but I'm not sure of that part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Ride.