Kyle's Reviews > The Godfather

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

M 50x66
Nov 29, 07

bookshelves: books-i-recomend
Recommended for: people who like the mafia
Read in October, 2007

Kyle Toebe
Mrs.Ebarvia
Honors World Literature
11/29/07

The Godfather
“I believe in America. America has made my fortune. And I raised my daughter in the American fashion. I gave her freedom, but I taught her never to dishonor her family”. This is the famous opening quote from Mario Puzo’s novel, The Godfather. It teaches an interesting moral, “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer”. Mario Puzo was born in 1920 into a poor Neapolitan family. He lived in one of the towns in his novel, Hell’s Kitchen, New York City. Many of his books are derived from his Italian heritage. His most well known novel, The Godfather, was published in 1969. This was not his first book though. His first novel was, The Dark Arena in 1955. The Godfather was made into a movie on March 24, 1972. It won three academy awards for Best Screenplay, Best Actor, and Best Picture. Mario Puzo is truly a brilliant writer. Sadly, Mario Puzo passed away in 1999.

It almost kills me to say this, but Mario Puzo’s novel has one flaw. At times, I think he dragged the story out too much. I enjoyed all four hundred fifty pages, but not all people enjoy reading lengthy novels. Another thing about the story I didn’t like was the fact that he was often too descriptive. Some people with insufficient vocabulary would find themselves missing some of his descriptions; almost pages at a time. These are some minor problems with the novel, but not enough to put the book down.

Overall, this was the most interesting novel that I have ever read. Mario Puzo’s characters were just unbelievable. The most enjoyable character was the hot-tempered Santino Corleone, better known as “Sonny.” Sonny makes many hasty decisions that lead to his death. He finds out that his younger sister, Connie is being beaten by her despicable husband, Carlo. This was all a setup as Carlo was paid by the Tattaglia family to beat his wife. Of course, the ill-tempered Sonny jumped into his car and sped off to New Jersey. He is stopped at the tollbooth on the causeway and was gunned down by a gang of vicious gangsters. I really enjoyed Sonny due to his bellicose behavior. Sometimes in the story, I could really relate to Sonny’s impatient nature. I wouldn’t really say he is much of a role model, but he is definitely my favorite character in this novel.

Even though it may have been a little long for some people’s likings, the book was enjoyable. The worst parts of this novel were even better than parts of most novels. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes thriller novels. This novel is also great for someone who is interested in the Mafioso. It was written by someone who had first hand experience in watching the Mob leaders extort businesses and kill people. This novel could honestly be loved by anyone who enjoys a good book.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Godfather.