Rebecca's Reviews > The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health

The China Study by T. Colin Campbell

Apr 05, 10

I just can't do it. I value my non-enraged time too much.

I got a few chapters in and decided that there wasn't any point in continuing. We start off with the usual Pollan-esque call to disregard looking at individual nutrients and just eat whole foods. Wait, scratch that, protein is bad! Oh sorry, I mean, animal protein is bad! Oh whoops, my mistake, I only did my experiments using casein and rats and from there extrapolated that all the animal protein ever will give you the super-cancer. It is at this point that I stopped reading. I didn't even get to the China Project itself.

I like to think I'm open to new ideas, but those ideas really need to be backed up with something a bit more substantial. I totally buy that a whole foods diet, especially one rich in vegetables, is best. In fact, I don't know anyone who disagrees with that one. The other parts are all quibble-worthy, and I'm constantly learning new things and changing perceptions of things I had taken for granted.

All in all, I spent more time reading what other people had to say about this book than actually reading the book. If you're looking for a good takedown, look for Anthony Colpo's.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The China Study.

Rachel Ha. The authors only spend a few pages talking about the China Study. So ... if you had continued reading .... you never would have gotten to read much about the China Study anyway!