Mariel's Reviews > Jitterbug Perfume

Feb 09, 2011

liked it
Recommended to Mariel by: beetniks
Recommended for: beetles

If that cliche (is it a cliche? It's said a thousand times) were true about pictures being worth a thousand words...

This is a beet book. Robbins didn't BEAT us over the head with the beets. I was all over the beets like beets in borscht. (Hey, so were other goodreaders. Nice!)

What are words worth? William Wordsworth probably knows. I'm with Slugsworth. We try to steal Willy Wonka's chocolate recipes and the words from others. I'm gonna eavesdrop.

However, the horny goats were less experimental than a charm Aberforth Dumbledore would've performed one of his goats (too bad there probably aren't Harry Potter nerds reading this who fixated on that hardly mentioned weirdo side character as I did...).

The single most evocative visual and audio aid I could think of for this review.

However some stuff worked (the beets)... I didn't give a damn, in the end. I don't remember reaching the end. I didn't have the heart (beets are good for the heart!).

Robbins didn't make me believe that they should last forever. I didn't feel world weary from living so long because I didn't feel alive. For all the (hold on, don't speak French) joie de vivre, it was exhausting tries too hard playful. Just cut through all the crap, Mr. Robbins.

The past (particularly Keda's not wanting to burn on her husband's funeral pyre) retained a staleness that worked for me. I shouldn't say staleness... I want to say it felt like opening an old photo album that's dusty and smells dead. At least she felt like something that once was, even as she continued on.

Pan and the chick (I don't remember her name! Because she was dull)... You know what? I said all this in my American Gods review already. If their spirit wasn't enough on its own, their vampiric need for devotion from the masses wasn't gonna do it. For the sake of it? No way.

Pretty words aren't enough on their own. Beets are awesome though. I love it about history that food recipes makes me think about people long gone more than anything else. I'll think of how people thought to do that delicious thing in the first place (probably because they had to!). They should be like food. Deliciousness lasts. It came out of a real need, boredom, just because, culture, all good stuff (except for English food. What is wrong with English people? How can they put that in their mouth? You know, like what Bender says in The Breakfast Club when Molly Ringwald eats sushi?). A stream of pointless sex scenes about Pan and sirens and whatever aren't gonna say any of that like food can. And the food should be new! I don't want stale sandwiches.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jitterbug Perfume.

Comments (showing 1-12)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 12: by j (new)

j this is on my "owned and want to read but realistically will probably never read" shelf.

i need to go back to college so i can have 11 hours of free time every day.

Mariel That's when I read it!

message 10: by j (new)

j that's when my girlfriend read it too, which is where i got the paperback.

i spent all my free time in college on the internet and watching movies. i wish i had read instead, i am so behind.

Mariel I um created free time to read AND watch movies.

message 8: by j (new)

j when did you use the internet? because i used it a LOT.

Mariel I used it at the same time as doing everything else. I had my dorky websites to maintain.

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I didn't have a computer or tv in college; this forced me to do my work efficiently in the computer lab and gave me more time for reading (although I did have a job, too).

message 5: by j (new)

j i guess i also napped.

seriously i am sure i read non-class books in college but i have few memories of it. of course i find i have few memories of college in general unless i think real hard. maybe i have brain damage.

Mariel It helped that I have insomnia periods (this doesn't help me understand anything, unfortunately).

message 3: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee those are radishes not beets ;)

message 2: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Bee wrote: "those are radishes not beets ;)"

Ha! That exact same image comes up if you google "striped beets" OR "striped radishes." I guess they do look pretty similar is you're only going by a visual cross section.

message 1: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee ;)

They are pretty closely related. Good review though!