Chelsea's Reviews > The Carbon Diaries 2015

2111938
Apr 07, 10

bookshelves: teen-fiction
Read from April 05 to 06, 2010

I enjoyed the premise of this book - the world is being shaken by natural disasters and Britain agrees to be a test subject for the rest of the world on a controversial nationwide program of carbon rationing. It doesn't seem that far off, and Lloyd makes it a very convincing possibility. Of course, it's a bumpy ride for teen protagonist Laura Brown and her family: mom pines for her Saab, dad goes sustainable (alienating the rest of the family), and sister Kim gets involved in the highly lucrative but dangerous carbon black market. Laura is a fun, believable character with a passion for playing bass in her rock band, and an authentic sense of cynicism towards the whole rationing experiment. However, I found myself feeling that Lloyd went a bit too far with the destruction. It seems like EVERYTHING in Laura's life is going wrong. It's not just that the world is crumbling around her, but her family is disintegrating spectacularly as well. It got to be a bit too much - if Lloyd had offered just one more bit of solid footing for Laura, it would have been more believable. Still, an intriguing, exciting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Carbon Diaries 2015.