Wes Locher's Reviews > And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry

And Here's the Kicker by Mike Sacks

Apr 26, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, humor, writing-reference
Read from April 14 to 21, 2010

Mike Sacks's And Here's the Kicker, was a wonderful read. I had trouble putting it down and I was late for work several times because of it.

I purchased this mainly for the interviews with Sedaris, Barry, and Handey, as they were the humorists closest to my personal style but all the comedians and writers interviewed provided great insight and knowledge into the craft. As has been said in several reviews of this wonderful book, you may not recognize all of the names that emblazon the cover, however, you will definitely be familiar with their work.

The interviewer asked a lot of great questions and allowed his subjects to display their humor all while providing insight into their backgrounds and helping the reader to figure out what makes a comedy writer tick. I was able to benefit from not only a lot of insider knowledge, but found out about some great new authors and books in the process.

It's reassuring to know that most comedy writers suffered the same horrible high school years that I did, and that comedy writing is not something that can be taught in a college course or bought with tuition dollars. Either you have it or you don't. And if you have it... it's up to you to use it.

If you're curious about the world of humor writing, or looking to break in, this will be a helpful piece of reference.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Here's the Kicker.

04/15/2010 page 183
04/19/2010 page 270
80.12% "I have not been able to put this book down. The interviewer, Mike Sacks, is so good!"

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen i'm about half way through the book. my only complaint is the small print! really enjoying each chapter. and i loved paul feig's chapter.