Sara's Reviews > Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: true-crime, thriller

Re-read August 2011.

This is an exhausting look (600+ pages) at the Manson Murders and the trial written by the lead prosecutor. Even though I've read this book before, it was still as disturbing as before. Everything from the bungling of the LAPD, mishandling of evidence, changing stories and alibies of the accused made it incredibly difficult to obtain convictions, as the case was circumstantial. KUDOS to Mr. Bugliosi for his hard work in getting justice here! He acted not only as attorney but as investigator - without his doing so, there is no way that the state of CA would have had enough evidence for a trial, let alone voir dire.

The book ends long before Squeaky tries to kill President Ford was was paroled to disappear somewhere, and now we know that Susan Atkins will die in jail - the total psychopathology and lack of conscience these people had should be enough to hopefully keep the rest of them locked up forever. Their words are chilling even after all of these years

I still have such a hard time believing a diminuative man as Manson was/is could wield so much power. Yes, he learned good mind control "tricks" from Scientology and Satanism, but his control over his followers was/is so complete and absolute that it's mind boggling. I very much believe he would have killed millions if he could have gotten away with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helter Skelter.