Janette's Reviews > The Queen of Attolia

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Apr 05, 10

Read in April, 2010

I read this book to see what happens to the Thief (from the first book in the series). I have to say I was impressed by the character growth.

The main character seemed really fleshed out, realistic, and really likable. I routed for him the whole book. I also liked Edis a lot and thought the dialogue was first rate. My only complaint (Spoiler alert!)was that without any real foreshadowing on about page 250 the thief tells Attolia that he's been in love with her for years. Really? The cruel, ruthless woman who has cut off his hand and nearly killed him?Her? When he is captured again he thinks she will torture him death. And yes, I understand that Attolia has had to be ruthless to keep her throne, but I'm thinking that most men wouldn't want a wife who would cheerfully torture them to death. Call me an old fashioned romantic.

Anyway, despite its unbelievability, from that point on I couldn't put the book down. I'm such a sucker for romance, even if it's only the implied sort and one half of the pair is a ruthless dictator.

Now I'm reading the third book and loving the thief even more. Attolia . . .still not so much. But then, I'm not that far into it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Attolia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kayla That's the only part I didn't like about the book, either. It seemed like he randomly decided to start loving her. XD

Tanja My sister in law saw it coming from almost the beginning of the book. My brother made the statement that frequently men fall in love with the women that are mean to them. I won't ask what he means by that. Just keep reading. The best part of the series is the development of characters. Who are they really and what makes them act the way they do. I agree wholeheartedly that who can't love Eugenides. He is one of my favorite male characters ever.

Hannah True, the romance is the only thing that seems a bit off to me. It seems quite unreal. But it's still a great book.

Levina  C. Attolia isn't as bad as you make her out to be, actually. She's exactly the kind of person anyone would be after ruling for years, alone, never trusting everyone, always having to watch her own back. It's kind of like those rude, rough street punks who've had to fend for themselves their whole lives.

Lois The thing with Gen is that being the force of nature, boundary-pusher, and self-punisher that he is, he was never going to fall in love with someone normal, was he? :)

message 6: by Janette (new) - added it

Janette Well, I guess it wouldn't have been an interesting book if he'd fallen for some nice girl down the street. But still . . .

message 7: by P (new) - rated it 4 stars

P Agree with every word of your review!