Paul Bryant's Reviews > A Humument: A Treated Victorian Novel

A Humument by Tom Phillips

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: you-call-that-art
Recommended for: people who write in books

The sculptor takes a great lump of marble and chips away and after swearing and downing much alcohol finally the statue that was hiding in the marble is revealed. Tom Phillips starts off with an obscure Victorian novel called A Human Document by W H Mallock (read it? no, no one has) and he chops this and that away from every page, by overpainting, blanking out etc etc - until the pages look like this

[image error]

or this

[image error]

and a million more variations. The fanatical attention Tom Phillips has given to this Victorian novel over the years makes you think that he's suffering from a diagnosable condition, but it makes for a lovely, unexpected and genuinely unique... thing. And lovely unexpected things are good.

Hey, look at me, putting pictures in my reviews and all.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Humument.

Ruth I adore A Humument and it does live in my house, about 6 feet from where I'm sitting.

In real life I'm a visual artist and poet. I was unaware of Tom Phillips until I found him on the internet whilst I was in the midst of a series of poems selected on old book pages and painted around. IOW, I invented the typewriter all by myself, long after he did. Sigh. At least my art doesn't look a lot like his, and I separate the pages from the books.

At any rate, I could look at this book for years.

R

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna love these.

Megha I really enjoyed 'A Humument'. I couldn't make much sense of the writing in many places, but that doesn't really matter.

message 4: by mark (new)

mark monday paul, you picture-lovin' sell-out!

for some reason your review reminds me of the crispin glover book Rat Catching.

Paul Bryant ha, I was practising my IT skills! Yes! Not selling out! No lolcatz!

message 6: by mark (new)

mark monday well, i can't hate too much. i felt like a giggly child dizzy with excitment when i learned how to add a ♥

notgettingenough Stop it Paul, just stop it. NOT you too with the pictures. Sigh.

Paul Bryant It's okay, NGE... I promise, no more unless it's essential. Such as this one - you all need to SEE what Tom Phillips does. Hmm. Maybe now I've learned how to do it I need to rewrite all my art book reviews.... hmm, yess...

notgettingenough Okay, You've convinced me. You have a vote.