Mariel's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Nov 29, 10

Recommended to Mariel by: Two in the fist is worth Kate Bush
Recommended for: John Cusack in a Kate Bush t-shirt

I'm afraid of this story and of these people. I read WH when I was fourteen. That the pins still prick speaks of it's power over me. I could easily take in the insanity, the ferventness... But I hate them. Child of abusive relationship here. I hate them. If they jumped off a cliff (Heath), I would not Thelma and Louise it too. I hated to be suffocated. WH smothered me. Power or not, did I need that kind of passion? Hells no. Some things are too bad of an influence.
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Mariel Writing reviews on my iPod is hard. I give up.

Kelly Hah, agreed!

message 5: by Blake (last edited Dec 14, 2011 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blake Wuthering Heights is not the kind of book you give 2 stars. Wuthering Heights is the kind of book you give 5 stars just to see if it'll be satisfied, and if not then you get down on your knees and pray to it.

Nikolai Of Waroch Agreed, Blake. ^^

Kelly I agree Blake. I give this 5 stars as well. Mariel, I have read this book twice and I was 13 (about a year ago). I loved it. It was a pretty dark storyline, certainly not for people under thirteen. I had seen a movie version of it before ever reading about the book. I loved the movie so much that I wanted to read to book. The movie actually lived up to the book. I really think that you are thinking too much about the book.
****SPOILERS****

You are almost acting as though Heathcliff was going to come and 'corrupt' kids to being bad. He couldn't really help the way he was, but it was kind of his fault the relationship didn't work as planed with Cathy. Catherine was still to blame though, she was stupid and went with that other guy (I forget his name). Long story short, don't give this book a bad rating because you don't feel it is good for a child.

message 2: by Antonomasia (last edited Sep 16, 2013 11:45AM) (new) - added it

Antonomasia @Kelly She sounds completely clear that she personally didn't react well to the book, and expresses that beautifully (as usual). There's no suggestion here that it is bad for any type of person in general.

Jennifer (aka EM) I share the pain you felt with this novel. ((Mariel))