Mariel's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Oct 15, 10

Recommended to Mariel by: my mother
Recommended for: boo didley

It's a bit intimidating to review a much loved classic such as To Kill a Mockingbird. What could I say that hasn't been expressed much more eloquently by thousands of other goodreaders? The thing is, though, this isn't an untouchable classic. I don't mean "Oh, why did people like that, let's knock it off its pedestal" untouchable. I mean you could find it randomly sitting on a park bench, never having heard a breathed word about it, and immediately fall into the story. It's touchable because it doesn't matter what anyone else says. To Kill a Mockingbird is the finding your own thing in it, in this book about so many of the tough life things: racism, losing your religion of rights and wrong, government, cruelty, friendship, growing up. I read 'Mockingbird' when I was fourteen. I'd carry it with me in between classes and hold it up while I walked to classes. That hooked. Anyway, I loved that it talked to me like a person. That's so rare. Being told what to read aside, it's not being told to think that is really appreciated when you're young and confused (and old and confused). Touchable indeed.
Years later I read Truman Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms and it knocked my socks off that Scout and Idabel were based on the same girl that Capote and Harper Lee grew up with. I highly recommend reading both books and seeing this marches to the beat of her own musical troupe girl. Capote's writing isn't straight forward but more like the insidious horrors of growing up and the dark sides that force their way and halt growing up so-called adult views. Not black and white, definitely not. The confusing kaleidoscope scope, maybe. I loved the emotional sense of that and I also love Lee's comforting wish-you-had-an-adult-like-that-to-talk-to during rough times voice. Anyway, I was amazed, after all that time in between reading (like ten years). (Needless to say, that must have been one hell of a girl to inspire both Scout and Idabel.)

P.S. Bo Didley lived in our town and the kids in my high school were always talking about going to look for him. I thought it was sooo funny to call him Boo Didley and make 'Mockingbird' jokes about them. No one ever got it. Maybe because I wasn't funny.

P.S.S. My cousin looked just like Scout in the movie when growing up. We'd call her Scout and piss her off. (She also hated that her mama named her after Scarlett O'Hara. Poor thing was tortured more than the average kid with required reading lists.)
17 likes · flag

Pamela I really liked your review too...I have already read "To Kill A Mockingbird," but I will put "Other Voices, Other Rooms" on my "to-read" list.